Conophytum youngii

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Conophytum youngii

Post by cactuspip »

I hope to obtain a plant of this recently discovered species sometime soon.
I want to be able to grow it successfully.
Does anyone have experience of this species and do you have any specific advice or suggestions?
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Conophytum youngii

Post by Aiko »

cactuspip wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:10 am I hope to obtain a plant of this recently discovered species sometime soon.
For now your most serious option to get one, is to become a member of the Mesemb Study Group and hope it will be on the annual seed list again. It was on it a year or two / three back. It is the only place where I have seen it on offer. Unless you know a private grower that can supply you with some seeds...
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I think with such plants as cono youngii, the aim should always be to get two plants. One does nothing but sit there and please it's keeper, but two can hopefully produce seeds. If you're OK growing from seed Philip please message me your address and I'll send you some.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ChrisR wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:13 am I think with such plants as cono youngii, the aim should always be to get two plants. One does nothing but sit there and please it's keeper, but two can hopefully produce seeds. If you're OK growing from seed Philip please message me your address and I'll send you some.
Chris, would you happen to have a few spare seeds of the C. smaleorum as well? I might have asked you already, if so, apologies!
Mat
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

[/quote]Chris, would you happen to have a few spare seeds of the C. smaleorum as well? I might have asked you already, if so, apologies![/quote]

You haven't asked Mat, but sorry, no I don't. You might ask Emile Sinclair as he took all Terry's conos.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ChrisR wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:28 am You haven't asked Mat, but sorry, no I don't. You might ask Emile Sinclair as he took all Terry's conos.
Thank you! I've messaged you directly to keep this thread more or less on topic.
Mat