Cacti in Portugal

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jfabiao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti in Portugal

Post by jfabiao »

Patrick wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:33 pm I don't know those I'm afraid. Anything without peat here seems to be impossible
I believe you are right. And if you do find anything without peat, please let me know!
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Will do!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

So, I used SIRO CATO (with peat) + sand + cat litter 2+3+1 and leca as a drainage, all I could find there.
The most difficult was finding a small stone gravel to cover the substrate surface of the pots but it's also available from building materials Company surprisingly very cheap. It's very interesting how plants will go through the winter.
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:15 am So, I used SIRO CATO (with peat) + sand + cat litter 2+3+1 and leca as a drainage.
Argh!, the dreaded SIRO CATO (and any other such "cactus soil", which is basically peat with sharp sand added). I refuse to use it, but I understand your lack of options.

Incidentally, I have found recently ONE place in Portugal (and in Algarve!) where you can buy [apparently] decent volcanic gravel at a decent size and price. Check it here:
https://www.qagarden.com/product-page/p ... A2nica-20l

The 0-3mm black (not ideal, but that's the colour they have available) gravel looks decent, the 3-10 is way too big for anything other than ground cover or plant beds (goes without saying that these numbers are not to be trusted too much). I will let you know how much of the 0-3 is usable once the bag I bought dries out enough to be sifted.
Z

The Clumsy Gardener
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

jfabiao wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:31 am

Incidentally, I have found recently ONE place in Portugal (and in Algarve!) where you can buy [apparently] decent volcanic gravel at a decent size and price. Check it here:
https://www.qagarden.com/product-page/p ... A2nica-20l

The 0-3mm black (not ideal, but that's the colour they have available) gravel looks decent, the 3-10 is way too big for anything other than ground cover or plant beds (goes without saying that these numbers are not to be trusted too much). I will let you know how much of the 0-3 is usable once the bag I bought dries out enough to be sifted.
I can confirm they have it. I was there on Monday. I bought some of the larger stuff for the succulent garden, I didn't actually think of the smaller size for top dressing, but they seemed to have a variety of sizes and in the dark brown colour too I think. €6 for a large bag.

I have bought some nice cacti from them in the past but there range is a bit depleted at this time of year.

I wasn't looking for top dressing as I'd just bought a bag from Leroy Merlin further down that road which looks like it will suit my purposes and which I hadn't seen before.

Also I saw that Vania at Cacti Jardins in Porches has started selling some small grit. It looked quite like aquarium gravel that I have previously bought elsewhere. She is also expanding their range of succulents (more succulents than cacti) https://cactijardins.com/Default.aspx
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

Actually what do you use it for? Top dressing or as part of the compost mix?
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Patrick wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Actually what do you use it for? Top dressing or as part of the compost mix?
I usually use the red[dish] stuff. Particles in the 1-3 mm range go into the compost mix, the dust is good for rooting cuttings and the bigger particles (4-5mm or so) I use as top dressing. I don't think I will use any of the black variety as top dressing, I suspect it will burn the plants once it gets hit by our sun.
Z

The Clumsy Gardener
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

Thanks, I wish I'd thought of that as I am getting through quite a bit of grit while I do lots of repotting! I'll have to go to the Algarve again!
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

Obrigado Fabião! I've got SIRO CATO substrate from Cacti Jardins. And a smaller sack of substrate "from abroad", another side of Guadiana, Ayamonte. )) Small dark stones seem like not safe because of possible heat damage. As I said I've got white marbel gravel 1cm +/- for an 1 euro per sack and used it.
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

There's some amount of granite cobbles used in the seaside resorts of the Algarve. I do-be tripping over them. I heard they are up the west coast as well. There must be a mega-quarry there somewhere.