name please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

name please

Post by scousetigger »

I think this is a Mammillaria of some sort, but not sure. I would like to know also why the new growth has grown elongated whereas all the rest of rhe plant looks more like a brain?
Sue

Re: name please

Post by Guest »

Sue,

It is a cristate form of the elongated bit, a cliestocactus I think but not my area so somebody may correct me. You can cut off the normal growth and let it dry for a couple of weeks and it will root quite easily.

NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

I don't think it's a mamm either Bob. I think the one your thinking of is this one sue but you can see the difference in spines
4QIKRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAGAA8BAgAOAAAAVgAAABABAgAGAAAAZAAAADEBAgAmAAAAagAAADIBAgAUAAAAkAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAApAAAAAAAAABTb255IEVyaWNzc29uAEs3NTBpAFIxTDAwMiAgICAgIHByZ0NYQzEyNTAwMzVfRVVfMl9DTCAwLjAAMjAwNjowNzoyOCAxNzoxMzo
4QIKRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAGAA8BAgAOAAAAVgAAABABAgAGAAAAZAAAADEBAgAmAAAAagAAADIBAgAUAAAAkAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAApAAAAAAAAABTb255IEVyaWNzc29uAEs3NTBpAFIxTDAwMiAgICAgIHByZ0NYQzEyNTAwMzVfRVVfMl9DTCAwLjAAMjAwNjowNzoyOCAxNzoxMzo (33.25 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Surely it's a cristate Cleistocactus winteri, formerly known as Borzicactus aurespinus, Hildewinteria aurespina, plus several other names.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

I've got one of these too, had it for about 4 years or so and all of a sudden this year mines put up "two long bits". I think Bob's probably in the right area name wise, never bothered with naming mine.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I was given one just like yours Sue, only mine hasn't produced a straight piece yet. As the others say, definitely not a Mammillaria and most likely a Cleistocactus.

The difference between the two parts of the plant is in the growing point. Normally it grows from a single point radiating outwards but sometimes the point elongates to become a line; if it becomes a very long line all it can do is fold on itself. Hence you get a cristate form.

The other sort of 'deviant' plant is the monstrose form, in which multiple growing points arise. I think it was you who posted a picture of one today - Cereus peruvianus monstrose as I know it, but identified as a different species on the forum (can't quite remember the name).

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

Would that be the Cereus hildmannianus var. monstrose?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Same thing. C. hildmannianus is the current valid name although not the easiest to spell ;)

Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

That's the one. I don't know if it is a synonym or, if not, what the difference is. I can't find much on Google about it. Maybe someone can enlighten us. There seem to be montrose forms of several Cereus species, sometimes called monstrosus. I have one that I bought for the office to counter the emissions from computer screens (well NASA said it worked!). We had several straight Cereus peruvianus plants too but they were banned from the office on health and safety grounds after a cleaner pricked her finger on one.

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.