Bulbine again

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Bulbine again

Post by Astro »

My regularly scheduled Bulbine promotion thread :)

Plenty of small succulent Bulbine species to choose from, and with a good variety of shapes and sizes. And they fold away for easy storing during the summer...

Bulbine mesembryanthoides, probably the most well known species. I usually keep them ticking over during the summer by keeping them out of direct sunlight and watering them ever so slightly so the leaves do not wither away completely.
B mesembryanthoides
B mesembryanthoides
Bulbine inamarxiae, another one I keep going over the summer. It colors up nicely in the sun.
B inamarxiae
B inamarxiae
Bulbine fallax, the first of a few species with tessellated leaves.
B fallax
B fallax
Bulbine haworthioides, a more ornate fallax.
B haworthioides
B haworthioides
Bulbine wiesei, with taller and narrower leaves. This species can become quite unruly if indulged with too much water and fertilizer. As with most of my Bulbines, I only water them when they start showing some stress.
B wiesei
B wiesei
Bulbine bruynsii, the eternal fan favorite.
B bruynsii
B bruynsii
Bulbine diphylla, a plainer bruynsii that is also a lot more forgiving in cultivation. All plants in this pot are offsets of the same plant, so it's not too hard to make a nice sized group.
B diphylla
B diphylla
I got this one from a batch of bruynsii seed, likely a bruynsii x diphylla hybrid. If you look carefully, you can see two more regular bruynsii seedlings in th same pot.
B bruynsii x diphylla?
B bruynsii x diphylla?
Finally, Bulbine torta with kinked leaves. I have a few specimens, and the leaves vary from almost straight to tortuous. A lot of direct sunlight (and moderate temperatures) is needed to get this leaf shape.
B torta
B torta
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Bulbine again

Post by Tony R »

Lovely, Astro. A wonderful selection of bulbines. Well done!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Beautiful plants! Thanks.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Good to see there is another Bulbine bruynsii grower out there, and even producing seeds!
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Wonderful plants, Astro. I think I've lost all my B. diphylla this summer, for no apparent reason. :(
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

jfabiao wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 am Wonderful plants, Astro. I think I've lost all my B. diphylla this summer, for no apparent reason. :(
I know how you feel. I lost all my Bulbine bruynsii I sowed myself. They were getting of blooming age and were crowding the pot, so I had to repot them in August. The corns / bulbs looked fine (they are strangly shaped, by the way!), but they never woke up again after repotting. They were all gone when I checked why they did not wake up again somewhere in October. They only had one splash of water since. Never got the chance of harvesting seeds...
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Aiko wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 am I know how you feel. I lost all my Bulbine bruynsii I sowed myself. They were getting of blooming age and were crowding the pot, so I had to repot them in August. The corns / bulbs looked fine (they are strangly shaped, by the way!), but they never woke up again after repotting. They were all gone when I checked why they did not wake up again somewhere in October. They only had one splash of water since. Never got the chance of harvesting seeds...
Sounds VERY familiar. I managed to get one single plant to flower, it was their second or third year from seed. :\
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Aiko wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 am
I know how you feel. I lost all my Bulbine bruynsii I sowed myself. They were getting of blooming age and were crowding the pot, so I had to repot them in August. The corns / bulbs looked fine (they are strangly shaped, by the way!), but they never woke up again after repotting. They were all gone when I checked why they did not wake up again somewhere in October. They only had one splash of water since. Never got the chance of harvesting seeds...
I usually repot my Bulbines when they're in active growth. That includes a number of bruynsii (including two plants that were mailed to me), and I haven't had any issues. I try to disturb the roots as little as possible.