Resignation as the Chair of the British Cactus and Succulent Society

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ian Thwaites
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Resignation as the Chair of the British Cactus and Succulent Society

Post by Ian Thwaites »

Over the last few weeks I have been subjected to unprecedented attacks on my personal integrity by a member of the board of trustees. I have never been given the opportunity to reply or challenge these accusations. Furthermore, my accuser has stated that she is backed by the Board of trustees but has refused to name them. In a meeting where I had been asked to stand aside, the Society Secretary presented “legal” views but refuses to be quoted or allow the advice to be documented. During the said meetings where I had been asked to stand aside the Society Legal advisor had not been invited. It was only after the meeting had concluded its business that I was reinstated as Chair as there was no evidence against me. When I asked that my status be documented the Secretary said that was not necessary.

This situation has questioned my professional integrity and I have been forced to take professional advice. Based on the issues above I have no option but to resign as Chair of the board of Trustees. I am not alone as the Vice Chair has also resigned due the way the issues have been handled and stress arising from that. In addition the IT / Server Manager has resigned over the actions of the Board. If this was not bad enough the Society Legal advisor has also resigned over the way that the Board of Trustees have acted and not followed his advice.

I am very sorry that my tenure as Chairman has to end this way but I really cannot work in this toxic environment and the attacks on my professional integrity cannot be tolerated. I have had to engage professional council to review and advise on the slanderous statements being made.

The BCSS has been a big part of my life and I am very upset to have to depart in this way.

I would like to thank you all for your support and friendship over the many years I have enjoyed in this society and hope that you get pleasure out of your plants. I had hoped to address the members and this was agreed by the Vice Chairman but an objection was immediately launched by the Secretary.

With Kind regards and best wishes for the future

Ian
Ian Thwaites
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Resignation as the Chair of the British Cactus and Succulent Society

Post by Phil_SK »

Replies to this post can be found in a duplicated thread in the Society Discussion section, viewtopic.php?f=61&t=172553
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia