Aztekium ritteri from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aztekium ritteri from seed

Post by esp »

habanerocat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:45 pm Does anybody use cling-film instead of bags?
I find the bags a bit bulky, messy and expensive.

You can't really reuse them either as they stain.
I use tupperware type plastic containers with tightly sealing lids. They are a bit deeper but smaller than takeaway containers. I reuse them repeatedly.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Specifically for Aztekium, Strombocactus and Blossfeldia I use weck jars as they are rather air tight.

For the more 'normal' sowing I use a big tubberware box like esp does. It contains 26 pots per box. These I only need to keep closed for a few weeks. The weck jars I keep closed for at least one year.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Ok so Weck jars - I Had to look up. Like a more attractive version of Kilner jars….
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

This photo is from 2019
Attachments
2021-12-21_07-28-07.jpg
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

habanerocat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:45 pm Does anybody use cling-film instead of bags?
I use cling films and plastic containers found in the stationery section of what I believe you call "pound shops" (we call them "chinese shops" here, as they're mostly owned and operated by chinese citizens). If you shop around you'll find them in various sizes to suit your particular size of pots and number of species. The whole thing gets wrapped in a single layer of cling film and if done properly will stay moisture tight for months.
vaso.jpg
vaso.jpg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 610 times
v3.jpg
v3.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 610 times
v6.jpg
v6.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 610 times
v9.jpg
v9.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 610 times
v12.jpg
v12.jpg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

As for Aztekium ritteri itself, as Aiko and Ralph pointed before it is not particularly difficult and it does get faster as it grows. I have also found it is not as slow as advertised, my biggest seedlings bloomed on their 7th year (sown 2014) and showed signs of maturity (adult spines) the year before.

The same happens to me with some Strombocactus disciformis "strains", I've managed to get them to bloom on their 5th year (at this point I should point out that the real "fast" seedlings I have come from seed I collected from my own plants). I don't claim to be an extraordinary grower, as these plants don't get any special treatment; I just think it's a very fortunate consequence of a founders' effect of sorts - the individual plants that grow faster bloom first and these are tendencially the ones that pass on more of their seeds to the next generation. Multiply this by 10 or 20 generations and you have plants with very little in common with their wild counterparts when it comes to growth speed.

In the photo you can see the size variation within a single pot. Now, which one of these plants do you guess will pass on their genes to the next generation...?
aztek.jpg
aztek.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

jfabiao wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:17 am
I use cling films and plastic containers found in the stationery section of what I believe you call "pound shops" (we call them "chinese shops" here, as they're mostly owned and operated by chinese citizens). If you shop around you'll find them in various sizes to suit your particular size of pots and number of species. The whole thing gets wrapped in a single layer of cling film and if done properly will stay moisture tight for months.
Nice tidy job.
I'll try something similar this year. (tu)