Aeonium Rubrolineatum

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aeonium Rubrolineatum

Post by JaneO »

This one in flower but all rosettes here……
560D8D80-766C-4109-8C89-80EE5B44BF55.jpeg
Such a shame
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aeonium Rubrolineatum

Post by edds »

Should have checked before replying to your Velour thread! Time to get the paintbrush out!!!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Yes rather a shame, you’ve been too kind to it :grin:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Juster!
I did cut its head off when it first started to flower! Didn’t help! That is 8n greenhouse in flower! The rest continued to flower regardless!
Determined!
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

Gosh, beheading it definitely not kind! :wink: Seriously, I have heard before that this doesn’t work, so you have rather proved that. I checked my Aeoniums this morning, none show signs of flowering, thank goodness!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Juster!
I was cross. Most of these I have more than one but not Rubrolineatum…..typical. Every single rosette has flowers!
It definitely does nor work! I’m going to try and keep the stem in the hope it will regrow! I’m not holding my breath! It seemed drastic when I chopped it! Within a couple of days it was flowering again.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

JaneO wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm Juster!
I was cross. Most of these I have more than one but not Rubrolineatum…..typical. Every single rosette has flowers!
It definitely does nor work! I’m going to try and keep the stem in the hope it will regrow! I’m not holding my breath! It seemed drastic when I chopped it! Within a couple of days it was flowering again.
Ooh that's frustrating!

Presumably if you behead a solitary-growing Aeonium well before it has decided to flower, it will offset normally and can yield cuttings suitable for propagation?
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

That makes sense Ed, probably worth doing.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

juster wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:06 pm That makes sense Ed, probably worth doing.
I'm not sure it is a good idea!
It would be good to know from anyone with experience of this.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

esp wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:59 pm Presumably if you behead a solitary-growing Aeonium well before it has decided to flower, it will offset normally and can yield cuttings suitable for propagation?
Works with most but I've been told that with some particularly stubborn species it doesn't, they die or just grow one new head!

An A.hierrense I bought last year started flowering and then stopped and carried on growing. It was a good sized plant to buy but nowhere near full size for this species and I think the shock of being sent bareroot and repotting in an English winter (I bought it from Kerveat before Brexit) caused it to think it was on its way out I think! Still I've never heard of that happening before.
Ed

BCSS member 53038