Green Planet

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Green Planet

Post by el48tel »

Tomorrow .... 30th January 2022 .... 19h00
Should have a few cactus / succulents / desert loving plants.
Should have reference to the BCSS for help provided in the production of the programme.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Green Planet

Post by rodsmith »

I'll be watching and recording the programme. :smile:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Just watched it and enjoyed the wonderful time lapse sequences a lot. Never seen those trees in the Chinese desert before - truly awe inspiring that anything could survive in that environment.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Agreed, it was a fascinating programme.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

The time lapse sequences were superb, anyone know how it was done. Was it just a case of leaving a waterproof camera on automatic and going back a couple of months later and hoping it was still there? I saw the BCSS received a credit though it was only on screen for a fraction of a second - any info on what we did to help. I'm surprised how little feedback there was on the forum as it was on two days ago and hardly a mention.

Stuart
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I don't know all the details but:-
Covid restricted the amount of travel they could do, so they augmented the natural film they had with some shots taken in the studio. BCSS members supplied those plants and Ian, at least, supplied them with contacts. Maybe there was more too, I don't know the full scope.
The panting saguaro shot was apparently 2 years time lapse filming the plant. I guess the camera was waterproof. I think that, at the end of the first episode, they discuss the system they used, cameras, rails for them to run on, articulated arms programmed to follow a specific path etc.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

There's more information on the BBC website Stuart. The flowering time lapses were shot in reverse with them going back to the same site months later when the plants had dried up and died. I guess it was multiple visits but I don't think they want to reveal all their secrets, understandably.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

My hat goes off to the team. Even basic time lapse is difficult to achieve ..... successfully.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Some details about filming here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... een-planet Does say some time lapse cameras were solar powered and in place for some time