Aloe polyphylla planted out

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aloe polyphylla planted out

Post by edds »

I finally bit the bullet today and have planted my three largest Aloe polyphylla outside today.

The largest was in a half wine barrel and I was expecting it to fall out but it was so well rooted that the whole lots came out in one giant root ball initially! I mangled a few leaves but on the whole it looks ok.

Added to it was a planted bought from Surreal Succulents in autumn 2019 and the largest of my seed raised plants from 2019.

They're planted on a raised mound of garden soil, grit, perlite, old potting mix and the mix from the barrel. Where they're planted I should be able to easily cover them if needed next winter as well.
PXL_20220418_190723526.jpg
PXL_20220418_190651462.jpg
The roots,
IMG-20220418-WA0007~2.jpg
And an almost action shot!
IMG-20220418-WA0008~2.jpg
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Aloe polyphylla planted out

Post by Herts Mike »

Well done Ed.

I planted my smaller one out a couple of weeks ago.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Fingers crossed for you/them, the big ones a beauty.

Free root run should speed them up, keep us updated
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Lovely plant, I'm sure it will do well.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Kew would be jealous (a couple of debatable quality photos from my mobile, I visited over the Easter weekend)!

20220417_144902.jpg
20220417_145025.jpg
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks everyone. I can certainly feel the effort this morning!

Mat, I've seen a few at various gardens over the last few years and without exception they all seem to be keeping them too dry IMHO. I spoke with the head gardener at Overbeck's about it last week as his sorry one was inside and totally dry. Hopefully those Kew ones will get some rain or they'll give them some water!

My big one has been outside uncovered this winter and the medium has stayed wet but with the clay, bark and perlite added the roots seemed to be loving it. My friend has one in a barrel that he waters every week in the summer and it is looking much bigger and better than mine.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Pattock
Registered Guest

Post by Pattock »

MatDz wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:37 pm Kew would be jealous (a couple of debatable quality photos from my mobile, I visited over the Easter weekend)!
I have just realised that Kew have filled some cracks with polyphylla.

(I just checked, Polyfilla is still sold, I don't know if it still well-known enough to make that joke work with younger generations.)
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Pattock wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:47 am
MatDz wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:37 pm Kew would be jealous (a couple of debatable quality photos from my mobile, I visited over the Easter weekend)!
I have just realised that Kew have filled some cracks with polyphylla.

(I just checked, Polyfilla is still sold, I don't know if it still well-known enough to make that joke work with younger generations.)
I still trot out the joke during my talks if I remember. Given the demographic of the usualy audience there is usually a titter - an encouraging sign that some, at least, are still awake.

Nice one Ed. You've lit the blue touch paper!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

The only major difference between habitat and a great deal of the UK (not least the east and south-east), is the drainage.

East Anglia seldom gets more than around 650mm of rain per year; in habitat, A. p. gets up to 1000mm of precipitation, and is frequently covered by snow. A. p. does naturally grow on steep rocky slopes though - very rare in East Anglia.