Possible plant ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Possible plant ID please

Post by Herts Mike »

You said thousands. Plural.
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

Herts Mike wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:37 pm You said thousands. Plural.
You maths is p-poor.

Most packets would have been 20 seeds, 5 main sources, say an avergae of 30 packets per source. That is?

Then add in the other society sources, maybe half as many again, just as a guess.

The seed distribution from the SABS was free when I was a member (I stopped membership, when the free distribution was stopped as a great deal of their fabulous mag's articles were very parochial), from Kirstenboch, and cheap even if you paid, so most species I ordered in 100's - I had more Strelitzia seedlings than you could shake a stick at at one time.

Oops, forgot - also the Mesemb. Soc seed ditribution too.

Also forgot - I am/was a member of the AGS, SRGC, NARGS and HPS, and used to get thousands of seed, in total, from them too.

There may well have been more societies with seed ditributions.

Silverhill - usually two orders per year.

I have just got the bug again these past few months, but mostly bulbs, though far from entirely. I have a passion for anything with bulbs, corms or tubers stretching back longer than I can remember - a quick count-up and there are something like 40-50 pots of seed/seedlings - again, most will be something like 20 seeds per, a few will be 10's, and a few far more. That is going to be around 1000 seeds, probably more as a few are in 100's.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

You’re very rude aren’t you? Unnecessary.
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

Herts Mike wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:15 pm You’re very rude aren’t you? Unnecessary.
You insinuated that either I was a liar, or could not count - very rude.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

I did neither. This is ridiculous.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

Davey246 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am
esp wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:25 amThey don't look at all like Peniocereus greggii. This species has almost continuous lines of areoles with dark felt and dark spines and distinctive dark skin. Even grown in very good light it has very thin stems.
Take a look at online pic's. They do not support your comment.
Online pics and my own seedlings completely support what I say.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Davey246 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm
Herts Mike wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:15 pm You’re very rude aren’t you? Unnecessary.
You insinuated that either I was a liar, or could not count - very rude.
Actually, I believe what Mike was insinuating was that you were exaggerating. You said 'thousands of C&S seed each year'. You gave us the maths, it is between 1000-1500 a year. Which is 'a' thousand, or just over. Not thousands - plural. But, as usual whenever challenged or contradicted, your first response is to come out slugging with your dukes up.

Can I just say that since you arrived here on the forum you seem to have done nothing but disparage other people, pour scorn over their methods, constantly big yourself up. From the safety of your keyboard you try to bully people by sledging them into submission if they dare disagree with your particular brand of personal perfection. You really are a crushing bore. Can't you just go away again to whatever dark and lonely place it was you came from? The board would be a happier place again if you did.

OK, that might have been rude. :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

In actual fact Paul I genuinely wondered if he was a nurseryman. Thousands could be 6,7,8 or more thousand. I have no idea what his seed buying habits are or all those societies he belongs to. How could I?
Davey246
Registered Guest

Post by Davey246 »

Paul in Essex wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:46 pm You said 'thousands of C&S seed each year'. You gave us the maths, it is between 1000-1500 a year. Which is 'a' thousand, or just over.
Your maths is obviously not one fraction better, even when I spell it out - 20 (seeds per packet) x 5 (major sources) x 30 (packets per year per major source) = 3000 seeds per year. It really is that simple maths, which I posted originally, and was questioned.

Add in a guesstimate of half that again from C&S societies

Add in two orders from Silverhill per year, plus the SA bot. soc., plus the Mesemb'

Even if my guesstimates are double reality (they are not), that comes, conservatively, to around 3000 total.

I am also a glutton for punishment - I love Gasteria and Tylecodon, but have very, very, very seldom had better than abysmal germination, if any. I have sown thousands upon thousands of them - commercial packets of Tylecodon from SA usually contain innumerable seeds. This year I have sown 200? 300? Gasteria, and have two seedlings, so sowing does not mean raising of plants. Of the countless Tylecodon sown recently, of 4 species, I have two seedlings from one batch of "100" seeds (in reality likely far more), and several from another - actually quite a good result based on past history.
I did have a packet of T. Perasonii from Silverhill, quite some number of years back, that came up like cress. But many of their wild-collected Aloe seeds were very poor - use a lens and there were boreholes in most where the seed itself had been eaten and the insect exited.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

We are well off-piste now
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.