Senecio- is this usual

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Senecio- is this usual

Post by Ernie »

Today while dispatching mealy bugs I noticed the tell tale signs of root mealies around the base of the pot of this Senecio.Whilst giving a good dose of Vine weevil killer (it works for me) I noticed that one of the stems has decided to become three in a strange way. Only one stem has done this.Is this usual with this species.
DSCN7166.JPG
DSCN7165.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Ernie
BCSS Member

Re: Senecio- is this usual

Post by Ernie »

BTW This plant is now known as Curio talinoides but I have kept the name Senecio as it was before the change
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Looks like it is becoming monstrose - I'm sure Colin W or John F will know all about this.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Fasciation!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Diane wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:26 pmFasciation!
That's the word I was looking for, Diane. (tu) :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

That word is a new one to me, just looked it up. Interesting thanks Diane. The first picture reminds me of the film 'Day of the Triffids' Cannot think why!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

No reason to call it a Curio for the same reason that Mamm Goldii doesn't have to be called Cochemiea Goldii. Any name that has been validly described is OK. If you're happy with one botanist proposing a new name then go with it, if not then the previously described name is quite OK. (Sorry Mr.ex-Prexident, I don't think you'll agree with me)
I've a crested Senecio Talinoides that sends out quite a few normal offsets. These often produce a crested section as in the photo. It's possible that this one shown here has been grown from an offset originally from a crested plant or maybe it is just prone to cresting. Either way it makes an attractive plant when grown to a good size and branching well like the one in the photo. I'd be tempted to cut the crested section, remove the normal shoots growing at each side and try to grow it on as a crest. Succulent Senecios are quite an underrated genus.

Stuart
John Foster
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by John Foster »

My crested talinoides is similar. It produces a nice little cristate section but then throws out normal shoots at either end - and sometimes in the middle as well! I've never managed to keep it purely cristate. In my experience the cristate form of Senecio serpens (Curio repens) has similar tendencies.
John Foster
Zone 9 Rep
Gloucester Branch Chairman
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:44 pm Today while dispatching mealy bugs I noticed the tell tale signs of root mealies around the base of the pot of this Senecio.Whilst giving a good dose of Vine weevil killer (it works for me) I noticed that one of the stems has decided to become three in a strange way. Only one stem has done this.Is this usual with this species.DSCN7166.JPG DSCN7165.JPG
Wow Ernie, that's great to see.

Cristate succulent Composites are quite rare. I was so so lucky to find cristate Kleinia anteuphorbium in habitat in Morocco. A single cristate stem amongst hundreds of normal ones. The cutting back in the UK regrettably reverted to type, but the image of the cristate stem is in Gordon's book Succulent Compositae p.79.

BTW the genus Curio is now widely accepted. No succulent spp. will remain in Senecio once splitting up of this vast genus is complete. Right now the largest genus of succulents is the old genus Kleinia dating back to Philip Miller in 1754, with currently at least 70 spp. Othonna like Senecio has also been split.

The Madagascan spp. are a particular issue and there are maybe 3 genera on that island including a couple of kleinias, but spp. such as Senecio crassissimus and S. baronii don't fit in Kleinia.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Thanks Colin. Its been suggested I cut the head off and remove the normal side shoots. Do you think its best left as it is?