Mystery succulent - ID?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Skribbane
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Mystery succulent - ID?

Post by Skribbane »

Hi all,

I picked up this plant at my local garden centre today. It was labelled as "hanging Senecio" with no further clues to its identity. I've tried to research it online and I haven't gotten very far.

I'm not convinced it is a Senecio - though I'm far from familiar with them - looks more like a Delosperma or the like perhaps (not too familiar with them either)?

No sign of flowers or past flowering, alas. I'm not sure if it's clear on the photos but the leaves have a shininess from a rough surface texture and the stems are slightly hairy. Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated!

Jen

IMG_20220619_184547.jpg
IMG_20220619_184605.jpg
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Mystery succulent - ID?

Post by AnTTun »

Kinda reminds me on trichodiadema but I could be wrong...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Aeonium2003
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Appears to be Drosanthemum. Could be Drosanthemum floribundum or D. hispidum. Flowers would be needed to identify the exact species.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'd have gone with Drosanthemum hispidum, although that tends to be more sprawling than trailing. It might look like that grown in a hanging basket. I'd have expected some flowers from that much new growth; they're not spectacular, but you would have noticed them.
Cheshire, UK
Skribbane
Registered Guest
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Skribbane »

Thanks all for the suggestions - now to coax it into bloom!
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!