Death to Mealy Bugs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Davey246
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER

Re: Death to Mealy Bugs

Post by Davey246 »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:52 pm Most pesticides these days also have limits on how many times they can be applied in a growing season - e.g. 3 or 4, which also makes using sufficient repeat applications to ensure all bugs are killed off pretty tricky.
I have never noticed any instructions stating such, and if I had, on purely ornamentals, I'd ignore it anyway given that it makes no sense.
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

I've yet to find one that is resistant to a mallet 😇
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

Dormancy in the bugs certainly seems to be a problem.

Plants I got in ELK last September and which were initially treated several times and were clear, have just shown signs of a few bugs present. These plants were well isolated so it looks like isolation has to be well over a year at this stage.

I'm working hard to get back to a zero bug state, but it's a hard state to get to these days.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

(tu)
habanerocat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:55 pm Dormancy in the bugs certainly seems to be a problem.

Plants I got in ELK last September and which were initially treated several times and were clear, have just shown signs of a few bugs present. These plants were well isolated so it looks like isolation has to be well over a year at this stage.

I'm working hard to get back to a zero bug state, but it's a hard state to get to these days.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Could be Sunday morning myopia, but I couldn’t see any reference to flupyradifurone on the bottle label or the MSDS. The only things mentioned are the two isothiazolinones, the chloro derivative of which is a common biocide.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Nick wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:24 am Could be Sunday morning myopia, but I couldn’t see any reference to flupyradifurone on the bottle label or the MSDS. The only things mentioned are the two isothiazolinones, the chloro derivative of which is a common biocide.
From the back label above, Nick. Cheers, Tony
Image1.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH

Post by Nick »

Thanks Tony glad you are awake - donkey ears for me 🙄
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I've a theory that 'flood tables' facilitate the quicker spread of bugs.
I've no proof as such, just personal experience.

It would explain why nursery grown plants are so badly infested.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

The prolonged dormancy theory fits with my experience.
I have been having good results with a systemic and now rarely spot mealies. Those I do find are almost always on plants closest to the greenhouse doors, which are open all summer.
I returned from holiday this week to find several Echinopsis in bloom and two had big fat mealies on the flower stems and only on the stems, nowhere else. These were the only mealies I found anywhere in the collection when I looked yesterday. I suspect the eggs had lain dormant in the forming hairy buds which had probably been on the plant for months, maybe even since last year. I guess the systemic does not get into dormant buds.
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: HARROW

Post by Elizabeth »

In my experience, mealies seem very fond of hairy Echinopsis buds. I keep a very careful eye on them.
Elizabeth
Harrow Branch