Death to Mealy Bugs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Death to Mealy Bugs

Post by el48tel »

Elizabeth wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:30 pm In my experience, mealies seem very fond of hairy Echinopsis buds. I keep a very careful eye on them.
How true those words
Add to them ... seed pods .... roots .... body ............
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

el48tel wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 pm
Elizabeth wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:30 pm In my experience, mealies seem very fond of hairy Echinopsis buds. I keep a very careful eye on them.
How true those words
^^^^ 100% agree and would put Echinocereus in a close second place.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Keith H wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:53 pm
el48tel wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 pm
How true those words
^^^^ 100% agree and would put Echinocereus in a close second place.
In my GH ... it's Echinopsis followed by Aeonium. Echinocereus don't seem to get so much attention
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Other than Lophophora's they don't seem to be too choosy.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

habanerocat wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:12 pm Other than Lophophora's they don't seem to be too choosy.
I wonder .... danger of having a trip?
SimonT
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SimonT »

Hi
So I've been lucky so far but this year I've had four plants start infections of mealy bugs. I've treated the plants. This was all on plants I bought in several years ago and that were clean and quarantined when I bought them. So I suspect a similar thing- very long dormancy of eggs. I have several other small growing areas including my seed growing area and these are free. Free from any mites as well so far!

So I've no confidence in the available pesticides but I'm giving them a go- if these don't deal with the problem I will discard the plants. But if I save seed, from one of the infected plant, if there a standard way to clean the seed?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

You can order malathion off ebay.com
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

I purchased a Melocactus earlier this year from Dobbies. Thoroughly checked it and appeared clean no sign of mealy. It lives in our bedroom with all the other Melos and gets looked at daily. Yesterday I had a look and found it covered in tiny mealy bugs. They must have hatched out in recent days after hiding below the eye line in the substrate. Not good but dealt with. I was due to give a talk at one of our local garden centres however during a recent visit to see the cacti and succulents being offered for sale and the state of them I decided I do not want to be associated. It seems the reduced staff numbers have no idea how to look after them. Many of the plants on sale are the same plants I saw for sale back in March so it appears not many being sold. Low light levels and the heat has produced the wrong type of growth and I noticed a lot of mealy bugs and a couple of stink bugs! Sad.
Anyway good old meths and bug clear has sorted out my Melo.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Is Malathion still available at Boots to use on children?

Stuart
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Wow, that sounds nasty. Having an infestation of 2 yr olds on your echeverias. :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.