Best way to clean seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SimonT
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Best way to clean seed

Post by SimonT »

I usually just extract and dry my seed from my own plants and this has worked fine so far.
But I'm not sure the way I prepare seed would stop a pathogen spreading from one generation to the next.
So as I'm about to save some seed this year, I wonder if there is a better way?

Also, last year I obtained some commercial seed and this had fungal contamination. I ended up washing the seeds in dilute bleach. This worked actually, the fungus went away and seedlings survived. But germination dropped to about 10% from the 70-80% it was before washing. So this was not ideal.

I've seen various methods online eg using alcohol and water, soapy water or dilute hydrogen peroxide solution. Is there a consensus about the best way to clean seed?

Thanks