x Mangave ‘Bloodspot’ going to flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: x Mangave ‘Bloodspot’ going to flower

Post by Colin Walker »

chrisg wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:33 pm I have 3 bloodspots at different stages of flowering at the moment. These are all from different sources, and as i only had enough agave pollen to cross the first plant, I thought it would be fun to try a little experiment. I have collected pollen from the first plant, using it to pollinate the second, and so on. I am expecting a range of plants from totally different, to similar looking. I will also be trying different things to see if I can encourage more offsets / bulbils but suspect the variation in the plants will have a greater effect on that.
Chris, are you saying that your 'Bloodspot' has produced offsets and/or bulbils, or is this you merely hoping these will be produced? My single flowering event produced neither offsets nor bulbils. Some folk have reported offsets but I don't recall anyone reporting bulbil formation.

The reason we might expect some bulbils is that Agave macroacantha, one of its parents, does produce bulbils, but again this isn't a given - my plant of this sp. produced only a couple of offsets during its lifetime and NO bulbils when it flowered 8 years ago. BTW the wasps loved the flowers and ate voraciously the tepals (aka petals) to get at the nectar.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
chrisg
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by chrisg »

Hi Colin, so I am hoping to see if there is anything I can do to encourage offsets and or bulbils. My last flowering bloodspot produced 2 offsets, and i know lots of others that have. But I have also seen photos of plants in the US that produced bulbils, so it is obviously capable of it. I suspect that heat and or soil temp may play an important part in bulbils. IN the Uk where I have see bulbils on mangaves they have always been in controlled environments like green houses, and mine that have have all be inside on a floor with underfloor heating.

I am not surprised about wasps, they do produce a lot of nectar and I have also noticed that they smell more like agave flowers than a lot of mangaves do. There is definitely that very distinctive smell to the greenhouse right now.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

I'd always assumed mine would just die after flowering but has some nice looking offsets so woohoo!
Attachments
IMG20221015095005_copy_1734x2312.jpg
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Following flowering, my ‘Bloodspot’ has developed a few seed pods. It’ll be interesting to see how these come along and ripen.
Mangave ‘Bloodspot’ seed pods
Mangave ‘Bloodspot’ seed pods
Sorry it’s sideways!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!