Baked clay granules

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Baked clay granules

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, normally buy this this drainage materials from Tesco or Auto spares. Can any one give me a current supplier ? Thanks
Zoom
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Baked clay granules

Post by Zoom »

If you mean the Hydroleca granules? then Garden centres or Amazon etc..
Sorry if that's not what you meant.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

EuroCar parts seem to be stocking clay granules again:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/super-so ... -542770768

currently £10.49 for 20 litres. The packaging says the granules are Clay based and non-clogging but you would probably need to visit a local branch and check out the product.
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi Eric,
I used to get this from Tesco as dust free Cat Litter, but now is seems to have changed from granuals a few MM wide to something the size of Hazel nuts+... And I think us all need the small stuff, I suppose you could put it in a bag and whack it with a rolling pin, etc....

Best wishes

Mel.
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

jerryb23 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:00 pm EuroCar parts seem to be stocking clay granules again:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/super-so ... -542770768

currently £10.49 for 20 litres. The packaging says the granules are Clay based and non-clogging but you would probably need to visit a local branch and check out the product.
I note it says clay based, but it also says "100% Recycled material" which doesn't sound right. The packaging is different from the last time I bought molar clay from Eurocar Parts, so I'd try to check what it actually is before buying.

I got some of this Safety Tread granule product a few months ago online, it is similar to the "old" Tesco cat litter, or the Europarts granules:
Safety_tread_5989.jpg
Its cost and delivery price were reasonable, but it took several weeks to arrive - I get the impression stocks of molar clay nationally were low for some reason. There only seemed to be one or 2 online suppliers, no idea on current pricing / delivery cost / availability.

A batch of the Tesco granules a few months ago were far larger then optimum, at least for small plants and seed sowing. Trying to grind them smaller wasn't very productive, granules tend to degrade to dust, rather than splitting into several smaller grains.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks all for your help, now sorted.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

What did you get Eric, and is it any good?

I am after the small sized stuff similar to the old Europarts bags.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Have you tried this Tina?
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I have some in the greenhouse. It is the same as the Eurocar stuff, which I also have in the greenhouse, and which, as far as I could tell, is the same as the Tesco stuff (which I have run out of) but without the scent.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.