Book

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Book

Post by Liz M »

Well done, Paul. I look forward to seeing this.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

There's a few books out there already and they all list hardy plants. Unfortunately these plants are not easy find. They talk about hardy clones but none that I know of list location data or field numbers. I think that kind of specific information would be a great addition to such a book.

Best of luck with it anyway and be sure to let us know when it's out.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thanks Mike and Liz!
habanerocat wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:31 pm There's a few books out there already and they all list hardy plants. Unfortunately these plants are not easy find. They talk about hardy clones but none that I know of list location data or field numbers. I think that kind of specific information would be a great addition to such a book.

Best of luck with it anyway and be sure to let us know when it's out.
Thanks. I'd be interested to know what these books are as, to my knowledge, there aren't any UK-centric books on gardening with succulents. Sensible ones, at least. I recall one 20-odd years ago by the Glenhirst Cacti people but this isn't going to be like that.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

The only UK book I have is by Shirley-Anne Bell. An A4 book. Is that the Glenhirst Cacti people book?

The other US books are by John N. Spain and Leo J. Chance. The first is small and well worn. The second I'm embarrassed to say looks hardly opened, but looks good enough to be fair to it.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Yes, that's the one, by Shirley-Anne Bell. As I say, mine isn't going to be very much like that, really.

I have those two other books, which are excellent, plus a raft of others - particularly good are 'High and Dry' by Robert Nold and 'Dry Climate Gardening' published by the Huntingdon Botanic Garden. The trouble is that books on growing cacti and succulents by US growers for the US market are always interesting but the climates are so very different to here that making comparisons is all but impossible. For sure a plant listed as only hardy down to USDA z9 isn't going to work in pretty much anywhere in the UK but even plants stated as hardy down to USDA z7 can be touch and go here because of our temperate climate. The roughest of guides, really.

On your other point, my goodness in an ideal world wouldn't that be great! Collection numbers and detailed habitat data for all the plants we grow would be perfect and take the guess work/trial and error out of so much. Sadly real world is very different. For stuff I've seen in habitat in Mexico I can say this to an extent but, beyond that, we are lucky to find plants for general sale that are named properly, let alone anything else :lol: Someone young enough might indeed start doing that which would add to the increasing amount of useful data out there.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

Congratulations Paul. Great news. Looking forward to it very much - it will definitely fill a gap in the available literature. Just got to wait very patiently now!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thanks Mal.

Sometime in 2024, I think. :shock: Seems a long way off.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
guthrie
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by guthrie »

Congratulations, hopefully they will pay you as well.

(I know a number of authors and how difficult the business can be)
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thank you :) I get royalties, some of which are up front. But not much :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.