Using a dessicant dehumidifier in the greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Using a dessicant dehumidifier in the greenhouse

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi does anyone use/thinking of using a dessicant dehumidifier in their greenhouse? Just wondering if I should buy one and if it will be cheaper and better for my plants?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Using a dessicant dehumidifier in the greenhouse

Post by esp »

EBAC don't recommend them for domestic use: https://www.ebac.com/dehumidifiers/desi ... ier-issues
What exactly is your problem, and what plants do you have, in what conditions?
In many cases, plants will not be troubled by humidity, or humidity can be mitigated by ventilation and appropriate temperature control. Removal of dead plant remains, leaves and flowers which can promote mould in humid conditions is often useful.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I have one, alongside a compressor dehumidifier, in my conservatory. I have a collection with lots of Echeveria and Aeonium and in a conservatory that I can't ventilate very well as it has limited opening windows. I also need to limit ventilation to keep the heat in for some of the other plants that spend the winter in there.

I find that if I leave the humidity high I get mildew on plants, even with regular removal of dead and dying leaves. Especially this time of year when things have come in from outside and they need to dry out.

I have the compressor dehumidifier set to keep the humidity at about 50-60% and on constantly. The dessicant one is used when the temperature drops as the compressor one is less effective then and spends a long time in defrost mode. It is also used in the autumn to boost the reduction in humidity when pots come in from outside.

Please note dessicant dehumidifiers are only not recommended by that web link as they cost more to run at typical home temperatures. When the temperature is low or you want additional heat anyway then the cost to run is different if you'd be paying for the heater to be on instead.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

Thank you for the replies.
I thought about buying a dessicant dehumidifier for the following reasons:

My greenhouse has automatically opening vents in the roof and manual ones in the side. In winter I bubble wrap the glass inside and fit all the plants on the staging at the far end where it is generally warmer. Usually I place a tubular heater on the bottom tier of the staging and this serves to keep the plants Frost free. However, although I have a solid concrete base water does ingress occasionally on the floor after heavy rain so I believe making the air damp.
Also, I thought having a dessicant dehumidifier will perform the function of removing dampness and then heating the ambient air temperature so negate the need for additional heating?

Having no experience of these dehumidifiers would welcome views from those who do have, also recommendations please. Thanks
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I have one for each of my greenhouses and turn them on when I feel they are needed. This could be for any of several reasons.
They work at low temperatures and the heat they give out is a substitute for the heaters, so I do not think the costs are too bad. I also have one in our exercise shed, to help keep the equipment dry in winter.
Do you have to have one, no. Do I think they are a useful addition to your greenhouse, yes.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

That's great feedback thank you. Can you recommend or advise any brand names or wattages I should buy please? Thanks
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

I've had a Meaco Junior 8 for several years and it works fine. But you MUST remember to clean the grille every month or two or it will get clogged up and cause the machine to stop working; it might even overload it and damage it.

Use a flexible to pipe to run the water outside to the drain, and you won't have to keep having to empty the container.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

As stated above, ventilation is key even in Winter. Also I have a fan running 24 hours a day to keep air moving over the plants, this also prevents scorch in Summer.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Running at upto 30 pence per hour to operate .... 24/7
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

No, small ex computer

cooling fans, that can be moved around the glass house where needed. Also I do not grow much that needs extra heat, that combined with dampness could provide unwanted humidity that could cause mould

May I ask what plants are affected by mould ? Cheers I

pad doing its thing lol