Using a dessicant dehumidifier in the greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Using a dessicant dehumidifier in the greenhouse

Post by el48tel »

Apologies .... my calculation refers to a dessicant dehumidifier
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

So what does a bog standard fan cost?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:25 pm So what does a bog standard fan cost?
How long is your piece of string?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Eric Williams wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:54 pmMay I ask what plants are affected by mould?
I find many of the larger, soft leaved Echeveria are particularly prone to it. By that I also mean many of the hybrids with gigantea/gibbiflora in them and plants such as Compton's Carousel. Agavoides and colorata types seem much less prone.

I would say both my dehumidifiers are set to switch off when the desired humidity is reached so they are not on 24/7.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

el48tel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:33 am Running at upto 30 pence per hour to operate .... 24/7
Source?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

gerald wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:41 pm
el48tel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:33 am Running at upto 30 pence per hour to operate .... 24/7
Source?
A brusque comment.
But
Upto 50p per kWh for 600W
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

After a fortnight of damp November weather, foggy and glum nearly every day and heavy rain at times, I noticed signs of botritus or similar on a few dead flower heads. Damp was visible on the greenhouse floors where rain water was filtering through the mortar of the base blocks or under the aluminium frames. The plants haven't been watered for best part of two months and the compost is bone dry in most cases but there is condensation on the inside of the insulation. I've had the doors open when practical, but to no visible benefit.
These are exactly the conditions which I fear increase the risk of plant loss.
So, the dehumidifiers have been turned on for the first time this year. They are set at the minimum rating (i.e. lowest energy consumption) and I expect they will only be on for a few days and only when the doors are shut. After just a few hours I can already see the floors are drier and the condensation is less.
Yes, this is going to cost me a few pounds, but I think there is a real benefit from using dehumidifiers at times like these.