Updated seed lists

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Aiko wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:18 pm
Aiko wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:55 pm It took a bit longer this year for the Dutch society of Succulenta to publish its seed list, but you can now find it at www.succulenta.nl/zaadlijst/.

The excel file to order will follow shortly. But at least you can already have a look.
The excel file is there by now. So you can start ordering, if you want!
€19.25 for shipping without track and trace? Wow. I hope that includes a phyto certificate.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I think if you ask to have the seeds sent in a bubble wrapped envelop, it will be much cheaper!
Standard they will be sent in a small box. And that is expensive.

Or ask someone who is a member to order on your behalf and then distribute the seeds further much cheaper. A simple international stamp will be less than 2 euros (although the prices might have increased since last week). Too late to ask me, as I already ordered (for myself and another non-member).
Rich45s
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by Rich45s »

Didn’t seem worth starting a new thread for this but how do people store their unused seed. Have seemingly half a dozen seed tins with now cactus, succulent and older veg & herb seeds that I think really need amalgamating into one so I know what I’ve actually got and get multiples into date order etc.

Was thinking of one of those cantilevered tackle or tool boxes as they’ve plenty of compartments but often someone has a much better solution.

Cheers
BCSS Member 52305
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Mine are stuffed into a small (200ml?) clip lock food container and live somewhere near the back of the fridge.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Mine are in the fridge too. I've always kept seeds in the fridge in my 'normal' plant growing and have recently sown some Geranium, Papaver, Verbascum and Digitalis seed that was 20 years old with very good results.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Post by Rich45s »

*NOTHING TO SEE HERE*
Last edited by Rich45s on Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCSS Member 52305
Rich45s
BCSS Member

Post by Rich45s »

Damn,

I was hoping fridges weren’t going to be mentioned as I’ve enough half empty condiments bottles and jars in there already and little room

But half way through this reply I’ve just remembered I’ve a little ‘beer’ fridge that’s not currently set up. That’ll be ideal,

I suppose it makes most sense seeing as any of the Govt backed world seed preserving projects are situated in caves and what not in snowy climes

Cheers fellas.
BCSS Member 52305
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

The Kew seed bank web site info seems quite interesting for this- https://www.kew.org/science/collections ... -seed-bank.

My seeds are stored at room temperature at the moment. This has worked so far but I only have seed kept for 3-4 years like this. I'd love to put them in a fridge or freezer instead but the chance of seeds surviving even a month in either of these locations is not high. I was thinking of trying some gentle desiccants in the seed container to keep the humidity down instead.
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

AfM seedlist is on the webpage.
http://mammillaria.eu/
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

fatich wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:54 am AfM seedlist is on the webpage.
http://mammillaria.eu/
Quite an extensive list. Is this open to non-members aswell, that you know of?