Blossfeldia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Conrad
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Blossfeldia

Post by Conrad »

I like growing Blossfeldias. These are about a year old I think, overwintering under lights, but would be fine not doing so. Matchhead for scale. Some starting to flower. These are apparently 4 different species, but perhaps a case of overexcited collectors? The first have mostly gone blind and look like they're about to do something quite interesting. I think result of rsm, or perhaps scorch.
20230102_212506.jpg
20230102_212359.jpg
20230102_212315.jpg
20230102_212126.jpg
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Re: Blossfeldia

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Lovely.
Will the cactus shed ever re-open? That was yours, wasn’t it?
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

They look very healthy.
I have some plants around 6 years old from seeds, never have flowered.
I have also a grafted one, it flowers every year.
Attachments
OI000500.JPG
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

My Blossfeldia seedlings seem to be an RSM magnet, along with Lophophora. I will get rid of them one day, be it RSM, or the seedlings, I still haven't decided.

The species should start differ one day, but geography takes part in separating species quite often, maybe this was the case here as well? Which sp. (and collection numbers, if known) are they?
Mat
Conrad
BCSS Member

Post by Conrad »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:26 am Lovely.
Will the cactus shed ever re-open? That was yours, wasn’t it?
Yes that's me! Yes will definitely reopen in spring, I have literally 1000s of plants that need to be sold. Last 12 months have been very busy with moving house, getting married, moving entire collection of plants etc, so never got round to it this summer, but getting to the point where lots need seliling.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Those are doing really well! Faster than some of my seedlings of "easy" genera, which are also watered, but not heated, over winter (and seemed to have survived the cold snap without issues).
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Conrad
BCSS Member

Post by Conrad »

MatDz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:34 am My Blossfeldia seedlings seem to be an RSM magnet, along with Lophophora. I will get rid of them one day, be it RSM, or the seedlings, I still haven't decided.

The species should start differ one day, but geography takes part in separating species quite often, maybe this was the case here as well? Which sp. (and collection numbers, if known) are they?
From the top down, there's atroviridis fr748, fescherii p244, subterranea kk1505, and the flowering ones are pedicellata fr749.

On rsm, I use abamectin these days, extremely effective. Use twice a year, in May and August. I very very rarely see rsm now in a collection of 1000s of plants.
Conrad
BCSS Member

Post by Conrad »

ralphrmartin wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:07 pm Those are doing really well! Faster than some of my seedlings of "easy" genera, which are also watered, but not heated, over winter (and seemed to have survived the cold snap without issues).
Thanks, yeah they seem unusually happy, I've got quire lot of larger blossfeldia from seed, but they're less photogenic.

I recall you mentioning this before Ralph, the idea of watering over winter but not heating. To be honest the idea horrifies me! I'd imagine almost certain root rot since the plants would be too cold to take up the water, is that never an issue? Which spp do you use it for? No heating at all?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Conrad,
Fantastic little Blossfeldia, after one succuesss Ive not managed it since but I do still have my two plants alive, I must try again.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Conrad
BCSS Member

Post by Conrad »

And presto!

20230124_094228.jpg
20230124_120553.jpg