American Society ZOOM Talk Saturday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

American Society ZOOM Talk Saturday

Post by DaveW »

Not noticed it mentioned here before, but the CSSA has Webinars or ZOOM Talks the same as the BCSS, but usually on a Saturday. These are open to non members but you have to use "To register for the webinar, click here" to register then you get the entry code back straight away. This is simply to vet those applying to prevent known hackers getting the link since some Zoom talks like one of the Mammillaria Societies were hacked and disrupted.

Saturdays talk is on Haworthia's and 10 am American PDT = 6pm our time (= BST). For those in other time zones "Google" a time converter from PDT to your own time zone. These talks are seldom recorded so have to be viewed live at the time stated.

https://mailchi.mp/9686318b2327/cssa-we ... 6c72e3bd12

Those who don't have ZOOM on their computer just use the meeting link and it will tell you to load Zoom then just follow the on screen instructions to join the meeting.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: American Society ZOOM Talk Saturday

Post by Al Laius »

Dave

The CSSA webinars are nothing like the BCSS Zoom talks. For a CSSA webinar you have to register, as you rightly say. There is then no audience participation or interaction apart from the ability to post some questions on Q&A that night get answers or not.

They are not recorded as such but can be viewed on YouTube for 24 hours afterwards. I have often seen these talks at a time convenient to me and not when they were live. Please don’t make inaccurate statements

Regards
Al
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Why so defensive AL ? Competition in talks is a healthy sign for our hobby?

I am afraid it is you misleading people by trashing other Societies Zoom talks and I can't understand why?

Are you saying that you can interrupt the BCSS lectures at any time to ask questions on all BCSS Zoom Talks? The ones I have seen wait until the end unless they are special participation ones, say on cultivation etc. I doubt most viewers would want people keep stopping a talk to ask questions. That should be done at the end.

Most of the Zoom talks I have seen are similar, including Mammillaria Society ones, to say otherwise is merely nit picking. All ask for questions afterwards. In fact the BCSS is using one of the American Societies previous speakers on April 4th = Jackson Burkholder and I doubt that audience participation will be allowed during his lecture?

https://bcss.org.uk/jackson-burkholder- ... ing-cacti/

Originally when the Zoom Talks started they did not record them because many speakers did not want the recordings available on the Web for free since some wanted to use them again in paid talks to other organisations. Yes they do now sometimes appear as recordings but are all the BCSS ones still available on the Web?

Jackson's talk on Cactus Morphology (evidently not the same as his BCSS talk above) to the American Society is on YouTube. Strange to be decrying Zoom Talks by other Societies then using their speakers for the BCSS?

His talk on Cactus Morphology to the American Society is in several parts on YouTube for those who have more than a passing gardeners interest in their plants.

If you wait when the first part ends it will usually automatically go into the next part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKunfoYDHLI
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Dave,

Al is certainly NOT "trashing other Societies ZOOM talks" - I suggest you retract that statement immediately.

The key difference is that the CSSA talks are Webinars whilst most other talks including BCSS ones are ZOOM meetings in the broadest sense.
Webinars do not allow standard participants to interact much compared with ZOOM talks.

Tony is once more disappointed with your behaviour following your return to the Forum.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

That is the impression I am sure many would get from AL's comments Tony that CSSA talks were somewhat inferior than the BCSS ones? If I ruffle a few feathers occasionally maybe complacent ones need ruffling from time to time, that is unless the Society does not believe in free speech or members opinions? I am sure many members must have watched both Societies talks and can tell us what they think?

I posted a link to an American talk which for some unknown reason AL took exception to? Apologies are reciprocal Tony? Al was pointlessly trying to make out I had everything incorrect which I did not. I am a great believer in letting the membership democratically decide such things and not individuals, the members can choose whether to watch it or not and decide for themselves.

All the best,

Dave
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Why did you let him back :eek:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Tony R wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:07 pm Al is certainly NOT "trashing other Societies ZOOM talks" - I suggest you retract that statement immediately. [...]
To be fair, I got the same impression after seeing Al's reply.
The CSSA webinars are nothing like the BCSS Zoom talks
The only difference is that for BCSS talks the participants are allowed to speak after the main talk is delivered, and this is a very minor one barely worth mentioning in this thread.

If we have to argue, the American talks being available online for 24hrs is much more appealing.
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Most of the BCSS speakers DO NOT wish to have their talks recorded, its personnel choice.
Our speakers give talks freely so it has to be their choice.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Oh dear, I seem to have ruffled a few feathers. Sorry folks. For the record, I’m a great lover of the CSSA (have been a member for years) and their zoom webinars. I’ve probably watched as many, if not more, of the CSSA ones than BCSS.

My original posting was merely just to refute a couple of points that Dave made in the interests of accuracy. He said that the CSSA webinars and the BCSS Zoom talks were the same, but of course they are not and have different formats. There is no actual ‘live participation’ in the webinar as you don’t see the audience.

The other point I was trying to correct was that the US ones are available to watch on Facebook so you don’t need to be there live at 10am (or whatever time it’s on) but can watch it later on Facebook at a more convenient time.

Not my intention to cause any friction or hassle but just wanted to counter some inaccurate statements, that’s all.

Apologies again if I’ve created any misunderstanding.
Al
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I just hope everyone who wanted to have seen Jakub's talk, it was full of great photographs and knowledge. I unfortunately missed his earlier one for BCSS, so was very happy to be given this second chance.
Mat