Watching Conophytums and Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Watching Conophytums and Lithops

Post by peter831shaw »

Im going into my 3rd year (maybe) of an assortment of Cono's and Lithops from seed.

Is there any observed overlap watering among the two?

I am in Ca, my Conos are not developing their covering, while many of the Lithops are still in the early/mid splitting mode.

Its cool but going to get warmer soon, can I still water the conophytums? Do I self induce dormancy or do I water until the sheath starts to develop?

thanks

Peter
Peter Shaw
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Watching Conophytums and Lithops

Post by Aiko »

Regarding Conophytums. Give a good splash in early April, and then let them be until late August or so.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Aiko wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:53 pm Regarding Conophytums. Give a good splash in early April, and then let them be until late August or so.
Even if they're going dormant? A lot of mine look like they're moving towards dormancy this week.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

If you are convinced they are dormant already, you could skip the watering. But a splash at this time of the year will not hurt them, from my experience, even if already dormant or drowsing.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I never water my conos after late Feb/early March.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

peter831shaw wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:47 pmIts cool but going to get warmer soon, can I still water the conophytums? Do I self induce dormancy or do I water until the sheath starts to develop?
https://conophytum.com/index.php?/category/425
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I'm not watering mine now despite the near-freezing nights, so that's probably it for the summer. Many of them were watered recently though, so they're not even wrinkly yet, let alone sheathing. This weekend will probably move them along quickly, the first really sustained warm sun they've had this spring.
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Oo Lithops, I should have mentioned Lithops. Obviously most still have big fat leaves and don't want water yet, but there's always a few ahead of the pack and I've watered some already. Plus this year's seedlings obviously, and last year's seedlings too. Big clumps and communal pots of young plants always need more water compared to a large single or double-headed plant in the same sort of sized pot.
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

iann wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:15 pm Oo Lithops, I should have mentioned Lithops. Obviously most still have big fat leaves and don't want water yet, but there's always a few ahead of the pack and I've watered some already. Plus this year's seedlings obviously, and last year's seedlings too. Big clumps and communal pots of young plants always need more water compared to a large single or double-headed plant in the same sort of sized pot.
That's interesting.
Daughter commented that some of hers looked way ahead of season.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

Thank you all for your insight and recommendations.

The seed pots are always the difficult ones for me, with some splitting some shrinking, and recently discovered root mealybugs.
Peter Shaw