Cat litter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cat litter

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I'm a bit limited by what I can move - getting big bags delivered isn't the problem, its getting them where I need them with limited space so would probably have to move them which is OK for small bags but definitely not for large bags of grit or John Innes

I've got a few bits left over from last year and have just got some lava and clay pebbles via Amazon

Sample from everything in picture below and the sieve that I usually use to remove large lumps from the mix. The Westland mix is the old version containing peat which has now been replaced by a peat free mix. The Tesco cat litter from the bottom of the bag seems to be smaller granules than most of the bag. I wasn't expecting The Focus mix to be usable straight from the bag hence the other components. The jondo grit is my last bag from a bulk purchase that was a mix of sizes (and a full bag is too heavy for me to move)
20230519_152212-Edit.jpg
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:51 pm [...] and have just got some lava and clay pebbles via Amazon
Is this "lava" the Lava-Lite from your photograph? Looks suspiciously white, what it is exactly if you happen to know?

Back to the topic, I am also using 4 main ingredients at the moment, roughly in equal proportions (except when not...):
- Loam based top soil (as a fine inorganic aggregate);
- Peat free ericaceous compost (pH down, some organic content, will probably skip for Lophophoras and similar);
- Fine moler clay (aeration and moisture retention);
- Fine hort. grit.

I quite like how this looks and behaves so far. I also have a bag of pumice, but didn't decide what to do with it yet. Might use it for bonsai Maples...
Mat
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

It takes a while to test a new compost mix so I just wish supplies would settle down.
There are so many new composts on the market at the moment as it is and lots of old ones are vanishing.
Now molar clay cat litter has gone off the shelves as well.

At the moment I use 2/3 JI and 1/3 drainage which I usually use grit, molar clay and perlite.
I add horticultural sand if I think the mix is too "open".

JI I'm swapping (after testing) for peat free JI or else for loam+peat free as MatDz mentioned.
I'd always planned to get rid of perlite and substitute molar clay for this part, but the one thing about perlite is that it is widely available.
It is light as well come to think about it.

For sulcos or other plants requiring really good drainage, I was just going to reduce the JI component to say 50% or less with the drainage.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I use 50:50 JI and Potting grit. I use perlite for my seed mix but really hate the floating bits.

The place lava substrate pictured above looks like pumice. I have two different grades for orchid compost mixtures that look identical.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

edds wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:35 pm I use 50:50 JI and Potting grit. I use perlite for my seed mix but really hate the floating bits.

The place lava substrate pictured above looks like pumice. I have two different grades for orchid compost mixtures that look identical.
Moler clay + JI (or loam and ericaceous now) work perfect for seeds. If I could I'd burn all perlite around for that exact reason.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

MatDz wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:39 pm Moler clay + JI (or loam and ericaceous now) work perfect for seeds. If I could I'd burn all perlite around for that exact reason.
I tried that mix and didn't get on with it at all. Felt it dried out too quickly. Perlite / John Innes seems to work best for me with how I grow currently.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I'm surprised to hear that, clay certainly holds more moisture than perlite in my limited experience. Anyway, if it works, it works!
Mat
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I use JI and vermiculite 50/50 for seeds. Works perfectly for me.
tonyironscacti
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by tonyironscacti »

Yes, I have used and still use J.I seed compost 50% & Horticultural Vermiculite 50%.

Have tried other mixes but always come back to this one.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I've never been able to get on with vermiculite as a compost addition. I think I compress it too much. (Sorry for dragging this off topic.)
Ed

BCSS member 53038