Hi from Kent

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Jamface
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi from Kent

Post by Jamface »

Hello all, I have been trying to register here for ages, but for some reason had been unsuccessful (I promise I know what I’m doing😵‍💫)

Anyway… I’m James from Birchington, East Kent. I used to be mostly into growing bonsai but moving to the seaside meant a lot of bonsai death due to strong, salty coastal winds. New house has a small S.W facing utility room that is unheated and like a small conservatory in the way it’s built. This means that it gets very hot in the summer and stays cool in the winter. I found this to be good for cacti, and now I have millions (not millions) of cacti and succulents.

I prefer smaller cacti and succulents and have a soft spot for euphorbia obesa, Gymnocalyciums and astrophytum asterias - all of which I’ve grown from seed to varying degrees of success.

I also like variegated cacti - I know it divides opinion - but I have always gone for the oddballs, be it plants or pets (when I was younger I preferred the odd looking tropical fish…)

I don’t get online often as I teach in a primary school (and am the Forest school lead) so am constantly tired, but am looking forward to joining in here (and picking brains) when I can 👍🏼
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hi from Kent

Post by juster »

Welcome James, and enjoy growing your plants. You will get plenty of helpful advice her.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Welcome, James, and Birchington (= Minnis Bay) was my kids' favourite seaside when they were younger.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Welcome James
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jamface
BCSS Member

Post by Jamface »

Tony R wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:42 pm Welcome, James, and Birchington (= Minnis Bay) was my kids' favourite seaside when they were younger.
Minnis bay is what brought us here. A hidden gem!
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Hi James,
Welcome! Make sure to look up your local branch. We meet every third Wednesday of the month in Pettman House, Hanover Square, Herne Bay CT6 5NY at 7.30pm. Doors open from 7pm!
Hope to see you there next week!
Abigail123
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Abigail123 »

Just a question, do you teach the children about plants if they are in your class and you grow them?
Jamface
BCSS Member

Post by Jamface »

Abigail123 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm Just a question, do you teach the children about plants if they are in your class and you grow them?
I am the forest school lead so am always on about plants and nature! Inside, I work across all year groups so don’t have my own indoor classroom, however, I took dozens of cuttings last spring to fill my year 5 colleague’s classroom with greenery (no cacti, but a few echeveria) and some of the kids have really taken to looking after them and have even added their own plants from home 😁
Abigail123
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Abigail123 »

That’s really cool!