Copiapoa cinerea prices

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Copiapoa cinerea prices

Post by ianstrutt »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:06 pm
ianstrutt wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:58 am Given how old that is, the more I think about it that price seems reasonable.

I was at Tony Morris’ auction yesterday and it became abundantly obvious that well grown plants will fetch a premium. I spent more than I thought I would have to but came away with some beautiful plants.
What were the prices, roughly? At Colin Norton's auction last year mature lophs, ariocarpus and copiapoa we're going for anywhere from £120 to £200.

Ultimately any plant is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but my original point was that you could pay a a fraction of the price for a similar sized c. coquimbana or even c. haseltoniana. Cinerea (and columna-alba) seem to be the hyped species currently.
From memory a few plants went north of £300. A couple of mammillarias (sorry, can't remember the species) and some copiapoa from memory. And then the majority of other plants went for anywhere from £20-100. I don't really know if hype enters into it too much? Everyone has their favourite plants and genera. I was bidding on things that seemingly nobody else wanted (unfortunately apart from John Betteley, who happened to be sitting next to me). I got a lovely pterocactus australis that had no bidders other than John and I lost out to him on a beautiful old tylecodon that I'll be a bit salty about for some time. I bought one of the caudiciforms on show (a small but beautifully formed kedrostis), but there were dinner plate sized gerrardanthus, dioscorea and fockea that didn't go for anywhere near what I thought they might. The only reason I didn't bid higher is because I don't really have the room for them.
Tina wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:10 pm Ha ha, it was me at Tony's with a bit of a copiapoa obsession, although I'm about done with copiapoa apart from one last plant on the list.
I now have two flowering adult c.columnar -alba so well pleased.

Tonys plants were mostly good quality, really old 'sort of heritage plants' as often you can follow/find out where they came from, often another mature growers auctions & as Graham said are easily 100+ years old.
Some of his collection hadn't been watered as he hadn't finished watering when he became poorly ( I was told)
Cinerea (and columna-alba) seem to be the hyped species currently.
not hyped but much slower growing and less common ( apart from at Tonys).
I thought it was you Tina, but everything got very busy before I got a chance to say hello. I'll introduce myself if I see you again. I'm not sure I'll be able to rescue one of the ariocarpus retusus I bought as it's extremely dry/maybe dead but it was in a mixed lot with a smaller retusus, a lovely strombocactus and an encephalocarpus strobiliformis (I'd have said pelecyphora...) that I reckon is older than me. I don't think any of the ariocarpus went for more than £100 (correct me if I'm wrong) but then again I think a lot of them from memory were looking on the dry side.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Rayc11
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Rayc11 »

Wow!!! well this Solaris cost me the price of a packet of Society seed in 1988!!
Attachments
_DSC7676.jpg
RayC - South Leicestershire
Membership no:- 20774
Coventry Branch
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Rayc11 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:51 pm Wow!!! well this Solaris cost me the price of a packet of Society seed in 1988!!
And it looks better than the ones on eBay! Does it flower?
Cheshire, UK
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

iann wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:12 pm Even Copiapoa solaris sales on eBay are getting hyped with "no cinerea" descriptions. Seems strange since one is much rarer and slower than the other, and at least a few years ago was desperately expensive. They might be pushing their luck with this one, though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175352216644 ... R6CnleGbYg
It's listed, not sold.
Mat
Rayc11
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Rayc11 »

iann wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:53 pm
Rayc11 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:51 pm Wow!!! well this Solaris cost me the price of a packet of Society seed in 1988!!
And it looks better than the ones on eBay! Does it flower?
No, it's never shown any sign of flowering.
RayC - South Leicestershire
Membership no:- 20774
Coventry Branch
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Ian,
Yes the ariocarpus lots were cheap but they looked sad, I only got one mixed tray.
Wow mat, can't believe that price for the c.solaris but Italian sellers often seem very very expensive for plants. I'm never sure why as I thought the would have better growing conditions than us in the UK.
Ray thats a cracking plant
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.