May 2017 - May Blossom
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: June 2023 - Icebergs of C&S

Post by Ernie »

I will start a discussion thread on the main discussion area rather than this one getting bogged down. Hope thats okay?
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

First plant I thought of is Kedrostis africana but I expected tendrils would be attached to greenhouse frame making it difficult to get black card behind plant. I found that the ends had shrivelled in recent heat so managed to get card in place. The plant has nor been re-potted for several years so I don't know how much caudex is below the surface.
Kedrostis africana
Kedrostis africana
The other plants that I though might be suitable all live on top shelf so not east to see without taking them out of trays for closer inspection/photography

Euphorbia cylindrifolia ssp tubiflora has some flower remains and green leaves
Euphorbia cylindrifolia ssp tubiflora
Euphorbia cylindrifolia ssp tubiflora
A couple of dead stems removed from this Pterocactus tuberosus before I took photograph, might try and find some different top dressing to make caudex more obvious
Pterocactus tuberosus
Pterocactus tuberosus
Final plant from today's greenhouse visit Ariocarpus kotschbeyanus, a real iceberg as there must be a lot more below the surface
Ariocarpus kotschbeyanus
Ariocarpus kotschbeyanus
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Great photos, please keep them coming!

An example I was planning to share some time ago, a Lophophora koehresii from Las Tablas:

20230609_171551.jpg

And this is how it looked a week or so ago while being reported:

20230604_232814.jpg

A disclaimer I should have added to the initial post, this topic doesn't demand uprooting your plants!
Mat
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus
sladkovskyi-0715.jpg
Mammillaria longimamma, not renowned for their taproots, but they have them.
longimamma-0702.jpg
Mammillaria albiflora
albiflora-010611.jpg
Pelecyphora aselliformis
aselliformis-0612.jpg
Avonia alstonii
alstonii-0726.jpg
Finally, a plant with almost nothing above ground, Anacampseros bayeriana
bayeriana-0731.jpg
bayeriana-0731.jpg (102.85 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Cheshire, UK
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Is that A. bayeriana grown "in captivity"?
Mat
bobblackbird
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by bobblackbird »

ImageFrailea Mammifrea
Attachments
Frailea Mammifera1.jpg
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Only 2 pages this time (compared to 6 from the previous month...), but I will need to choose the winner tomorrow as I'm on the road all day today.
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Apologies it took me 3 days to finally choose the winner, weekends do not help in "bookkeeping"!

Not the most popular topic of all items, so even greater "thank you's" to all participants!
  • Aiko - a great opening, I really enjoyed the dynamic nature of your photograph! From other photographs online it is rather obvious that your plant just woke up, but it certainly meets the criteria.
  • Ernie - M. tuberosa has certainly magnificent roots, but there is just a bit too much of it over the ground level (and I am not talking about the fact that the plant is uprooted here :mrgreen:).
  • Jim_Mercer - I appreciate the effort with getting the background right, hope your K. africana bounces back soon! Euphorbia and Pterocactus are certainly what I had in mind when thinking about "icebergs", and A. kotschbeyanus almost feels like cheating here!
  • iann - another cheater with Ariocarpus! :mrgreen: I was indeed surprised by those Mammillaria tuberous roots, great entries, along with the other plants. Anacampseros bayeriana would a clear winner (despite hardly having any "plant material") if there only was a way of making the plant stand out slightly more.
  • bobblackbird - the last (chronologically!) entry, Frailea mammifera. I certainly like the top down shots of plants in square(ish) pots, but had hard time finding the plant under all those buds here :mrgreen:.
All things considered, I think Aiko's photograph appeals to me the most, mainly because of the sense of "action" I am getting out of it and really eye catching splashes of colours peeking out, congratulations!
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:18 pm All things considered, I think Aiko's photograph appeals to me the most, mainly because of the sense of "action" I am getting out of it and really eye catching splashes of colours peeking out, congratulations!
Yeehaw!
Truth be told, even after the Resnova has woken up fully and is in flower, most of the plant is still under the ground.