Echinopsis 'Bridge' hybrid

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Echinopsis 'Bridge' hybrid

Post by Diane »

edds wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:37 pm Thanks Malcolm, definitely no Trichocereus bridgesii parent in that!!!

Maybe someone will know of a Bridge nursery or other link.
Could it be from someone whose surname is Bridges?
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

No Echinopsis (better Lobivia) bridgesii in there either, I reckon.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mal L
BCSS Member

Post by Mal L »

Thanks for all your contributions. I guess that unless a Mr/Mrs Bridge suddenly appears on the Forum, this is going to remain a mystery. I certainly never got anywhere doing internet searching in the past. Anyway, the plant doesn't care about the label and its unknown parents, and as long as it keeps producing its distinctive flowers I will be happy too.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Elizabeth »

I have a large collection of Echinopsis hybrids but I've not heard "Bridge" mentioned I'm afraid.
Elizabeth
Harrow Branch
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Could this have been raised by the late Mike Bridges of Manchester branch?

See https://manchester.bcss.org.uk/mikebridges-database/

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Mal L
BCSS Member

Post by Mal L »

Thanks Steve for an interesting idea. I had not heard of Mike Bridges before but my personal circumstances suggest that this could possibly be the origin of the hybrid. Firstly, my BCCS branch adjoins Manchester branch - in fact if I lived just a very short distance further north I would have been in the latter. Secondly, I do not drive, so at the time I acquired this plant, as well as growing from seed, I mostly bought plants locally (i.e. Branch sales, the annual Manchester Cactus Mart and only an occasional visit to Abbey Brook nursery in Matlock). If he gave branch talks(?) maybe he visited our adjacent branch and brought some sales plants? The only thing against that idea is that I cannot see any such Echinopsis hybrids on the very comprehensive list of plants that were in (or had been in) his collection. But maybe something he might have done as a personal hybridisation experiment didn't get added?
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

I met Mike Bridges a couple of times at BCSS National Conventions and he was a great guy - a true Mancunian complete with that fabulous Mancunian sense of humour! And he had some very nice plants for sale there too!

The question in your last sentence sounds worth following up - how about contacting Manchester Branch direct?
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!