Chamaecereus "Meryl Sweeney"

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Chamaecereus "Meryl Sweeney"

Post by Elizabeth »

An unexpected pleasure today on a trip to RHS Wisley. In the Alpine House, a substantial flowering clump of the old Chamaecereus hybrid, "Meryl Sweeney". The plant body was deep red - but it was flowering extremely well. I had this years ago as a freebie with an order from Kent Cacti, lost it to a red spider mite onslaught - and have never since managed to find it offered anywhere for sale to replace my lamented clump. At least its presence at Wisley shows it's still being grown! I still think it's one of the prettiest, most appealing Cham. hybrids. The petals have a wonderful metallic sheen in sunlight. I believe it was named by Pat Sweeney for his wife.

Elizabeth
Harrow Branch
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Chamaecereus "Meryl Sweeney"

Post by edds »

Nice to know it's still around. I wonder if they will provide you with a cutting if you tell them the above story?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official

Post by Elizabeth »

I doubt it Ed!
edds wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:41 pm Nice to know it's still around. I wonder if they will provide you with a cutting if you tell them the above story?
Elizabeth
Harrow Branch
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Do they have CCTV?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks to the kindness of Carlos Zeferino (Woodside Cacti), a cutting from Doug Sizmur's original plant of "Meryl Sweeney" will be in the post to me next week. I'm delighted! Please, please let it behave well and root nice and easily....
Elizabeth
Harrow Branch
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

I have it too Elizabeth. Mine came from Doug also many moons ago. If you have a problem rooting it let me know.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977