Cactus from the E.U

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
brugge
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Cactus from the E.U

Post by brugge »

Has anybody bought any cactus from the E.U. since brexit.
I noticed on uk ebay there was eu sellers, saying they deliver to the uk.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cactus from the E.U

Post by MatDz »

The plants usually came either as home appliances or you need a phytosanitary certificate and some additional paperwork that should be sorted by the delivery company.
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

There are a few UK sellers at ELK next month. If they take their plants from the UK to Belgium and whatever is left (or bought) will go back to the UK, I don't know. Maybe these sellers have their business in the EU. But then again, maybe they take their chance of moving their plants across the Northsea.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

A few UK sellers, that's good news, I thought I was the only one.

Stuart
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

I’m currently on holiday in Spain and wondering the same thing. There is a great looking Cactus nursery nearby and it would be amazing if I can buy a few plants and bring them back to the UK.

Has anyone tried bringing any retail bought plants back in person since brexit and is it allowed? The .gov site is confusing with lot of out of date info.

Thanks,
Mark.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

According to the current legislation you'd need a phytosanitary certificate and import notification (although I'm not sure how this works when bringing plants in personal luggage, someone waits on the airport?). That said, a plant in luggage doesn't look very dangerous to the "luggage scanning" personnel.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I emailed APHAS asking about non-commercial importing of plants but never got a reply.

A number of European sellers are also put of now due to changes to our VAT legislation where they have to pay the VAT direct to HMRC.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

MatDz wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:02 pm According to the current legislation you'd need a phytosanitary certificate and import notification (although I'm not sure how this works when bringing plants in personal luggage, someone waits on the airport?). That said, a plant in luggage doesn't look very dangerous to the "luggage scanning" personnel.
Thank you, I thought that might be the case. Now to decide if to chance it or not…
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Chance it :wink: , I often bring back cuttings
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Tina wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:39 pm Chance it :wink: , I often bring back cuttings
Thanks Tina, I’ve done that also :grin:
This time though I have no hold luggage and only the carry on bag so depends what security think of me carrying on some shop bought plants but let’s see. What’s the worst that can happen. A slap on the wrist and plants confiscated I’m presuming.