Succulents for a shady hall windowsill

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SimonR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Succulents for a shady hall windowsill

Post by SimonR »

I’ve had some success with haworthias and a gasteria on my kitchen windowsill (W facing) - see attached pictures. Can anyone suggest some more succulents that will thrive on a shady windowsill. Thanks
Attachments
F3737DE6-4A77-4C86-AFD8-03531F93983C.jpeg
BD7E3EF5-E546-41C9-91D4-E045CD5DE2C3.jpeg
75F0B41D-5D7D-415C-A419-D433CB5BBB04.jpeg
Interested in hardy cacti, specifically the few that will thrive outside in the UK.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Succulents for a shady hall windowsill

Post by Ali Baba »

The smaller growing epiphytic cacti such as Hatiora rosea or Schlumbergera opuntioides will do very well on a shady windowsill indoors providing they aren’t exposed to sudden changes in temperature
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Darren S »

Crassula ovata? There was a huge one in an east facing window in my old workplace for decades.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Darren S wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:58 pm Crassula ovata? There was a huge one in an east facing window in my old workplace for decades.
Mine has been fine in our living room for the past couple of years.

I thought I’d get a bit of colour on mine earlier in the year by putting it in the conservatory. Scorched it to within an inch of its life… it’ll be a few years before it looks ok again but at least it didn’t die!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Darren S »

ianstrutt wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:00 pm
Darren S wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:58 pm Crassula ovata? There was a huge one in an east facing window in my old workplace for decades.
Mine has been fine in our living room for the past couple of years.

I thought I’d get a bit of colour on mine earlier in the year by putting it in the conservatory. Scorched it to within an inch of its life… it’ll be a few years before it looks ok again but at least it didn’t die!
It always surprised me how little light the one at work got, yet it never looked etiolated or unhappy in any way. We think it had been there since the 60s and had a trunk of about 8" diameter when we relocated in 2003. No idea where it went. The Monstera that had been in the work canteen since 1958 followed us and is still alive despite patchy care.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.