Conophytums waking up

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Conophytums waking up

Post by peter831shaw »

I visited a small (but packed) commercial C&S nursery last Sunday and was amazed at her beautiful Conophytums, almost all having shed their dry sheath and some in bloom. Mine on the other hand are mostly still encased and could dead for all I know. Our "Indian Summer" is just getting started so I doubt the temperature is going down anytime soon.

Triggers for commencing growth? Shorter days, cooler temperatures, water (sounds like my SA bulbs).

Do you suppose she watered them all? I should have asked her but she was really busy, so I decided to ask you all.

Do you wait or do you encourage them with a small shot of water?

Not mine, but a couple of my favorites.
IMG_3151.JPG
IMG_3152.JPG
Peter Shaw
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Conophytums waking up

Post by Aiko »

I just gave my winter active plants a splash yesterday. Now I just wait until the majority is active again for the next splash, probably in a month or so?
Last edited by Aiko on Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanielAdkins
BCSS Member

Post by DanielAdkins »

All my conophytum that have dry sheaths i have already begun to water, and most have began to burst though their sheaths. I have some that are still in last years sheaths that are a green/yellow colour these just receive a light spray occasionally, but once they complete their drying out cycle i will water properly.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Yes, they'd definitely need water to get to that condition. I've let mine be rained on a few times over the last month and am going to be watering them more seriously soon. I know some other growers start earlier and stronger than that. Weather here looks cool but not especially sunny.
Cheshire, UK
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

I started watering mine the end of July. I’ve got 4 or 5 plants in flower currently.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

ianstrutt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:54 pm I started watering mine the end of July. I’ve got 4 or 5 plants in flower currently.
Same here. If nights are warm in July I will wait a couple of weeks, but not this year. On another note - I sowed my winter growing Pelargonium seeds on Saturday and some are already up.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

It's the start of the growing season in the Northern hemisphere Peter. But the plants should be dry sheathed before watering and not all species will be ready at the same time. Most of mine in the UK already had water but others won't be ready for a couple of weeks yet as the old leaves are not fully dry.

Take a look at my website for more info and cultivation advice; www.conophytum.com
Last edited by ChrisR on Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

Thank you all for the information, I will hit them with a splash this am and make a large reminder in my notes

Peter
Peter Shaw
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Aiko wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:46 pm I just gave my winter active plants a splash yesterday. Now I just wait until the majority is active again for the next splash, probably in a month or so?
A little OT, but I've seen my first "Winter growers" start this week: The 1st is Pelargonium klinghardtense and 2 fays later Pelargonium alternans

PS - Just remembered a new 1 today: Commiphora capensis
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

TomInTucson wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:20 pm
Aiko wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:46 pm I just gave my winter active plants a splash yesterday. Now I just wait until the majority is active again for the next splash, probably in a month or so?
A little OT, but I've seen my first "Winter growers" start this week: The 1st is Pelargonium klinghardtense and 2 fays later Pelargonium alternans

PS - Just remembered a new 1 today: Commiphora capensis
I’ve noticed the first hints of growth on a couple of tylecodons and pelargonium appendiculatum. The latter is great because I bought it while dormant so I’ve never seen it with green growth…
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.