Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Tina »

Hi Wayne
Your agaves in the dry bed are getting huge & lovely, you will have no space soon
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
WayneM
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by WayneM »

You're right Tina, I'm running 🏃‍♂️ out of space, I have to get creative, 😆

I might get some more steel rings in the future, really functional for ready made plunge bed's.
My ovatifolia and parryi are doing well in them.
PXL_20230812_114318159.jpg
Wayne
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I have just ordered some more seed and a few more Azul Monterrey so, fingers crossed, there will be plenty to share around.

Ed
Ed

BCSS member 53038
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD

Post by DesertPlant »

One of the agaves which mosts amazes me is Agave utahensis eborispina. I'd been trying to get some seeds for several years, but never had any germination success. Also ordered A. u. kaibabensis and A. u. nevadensis, but only had a few seedlings. At the end of 2021 ordered some small eborispina plants, but was still looking for seed. Until somebody on another forum reached out to me after I asked where they got their seed from when they showed their seedlings. They had collected it themselves and offered to send me some. The challenge was they were in the US, but luckily we had some friends from the US visiting, so they send it to them, and they carried it over. I sowed some in February, and had great germination success! Quite happy with these seedlings, never had so many from one species!

Here's a bunch of eborispina from Hancock Summit:

From the middle of May

A few days ago

You can already start seeing the terminal spines getting longer and developing waves on these ones (eborispina in a different pot).

Here's a bunch of nevadensis from Nevada Springs:

I guess these will be separated next spring, growing really well.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Great plants and great luck sourcing the seed.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

A.utahensis eborispina is one of my favourite plants, I had success with seed from mesa gardens back in 2009. I also have discreta and nevadensis. Massive variation and very slow growing
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

My Agave montana group has responded well to all the rain this summer. They struggled with the heatwave last year even with water 2 times every week but look much healthier now. This has to be one of my favourite Agave species. They cope well with our climate better than a lot of Agaves and there is amazing variability between different individuals.

100CA509-E16F-46A9-AA49-0024E2336B49.jpeg
6B7F6F6B-96DA-47FD-B34E-F45C9356985C.jpeg
FD0E87D1-C00E-4A2D-B354-61B30143C412.jpeg
6E1BD4D8-20F2-4C5D-B661-30AA3577AA93.jpeg
0763E622-3DED-47BC-AD0B-5A5273654BE3.jpeg
947DA3E8-E41E-4448-8E25-D3FC95CDDAB9.jpeg
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Looking really nice and healthy!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

edds wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:22 pm Looking really nice and healthy!
Thank you! 🙂

A few more of my favourites at the moment:

Agave shrevei ssp. matapensis has really come good this year. The combination between the blue grey on the leaves and the red on the spines make it very eye catching.
33876213-6531-4604-B8C3-1B63F8C198C3.jpeg
40FC891D-76E5-409D-A7F6-C630FBE6E14E.jpeg

Agave chiapensis with nice dark green leaves and really dark spines. This is another one that seems to have really appreciated all the rain. Last summer the green was much less vibrant and looked almost bleached. The difference this year is night and day.
7A20C429-9CDE-4843-AB48-527DA8179E52.jpeg

My bigger Agave ovatifolia, one of my absolute favourites 🙂. It could really do with a repot but I should with any luck be able to plant it out next spring, so no point in ending up in A&E for no reason…
48C772D0-89E8-469A-9A95-24C603E64A42.jpeg

Agave ‘Blue Ocean’. This is supposed to be a cultivar of Agave montana but as previously discussed on here it is more likely a nice clone of gentryi.
109918C1-03F3-4C03-B5F0-EA6C71FBD00E.jpeg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Looking really good, must be dangerous walking round the agave patch with shorts on
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.