Question .... Echinocereus pensilis morangaya cultivation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Question .... Echinocereus pensilis morangaya cultivation

Post by Mike P »

I recall Derek Bowdery had one bedded out that flowered well. Probably the same clone that JP passed to me (and others at Bromley to see who could get it to flower first) but as I didn’t really love it I suspect I didn’t treat it that well.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

StevenT wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:20 pm Ian Robinson has 2 clones on his nursery website.
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for one for a few years now to 'near' complete my Echinocereus collection.
Causes a few logistical problems though.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Simon S wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:18 pm I agree Terry... I think they're kind of nice (though I do like hanging plants as they provide a different dimension to the growing space).
I received mine as a cutting from Peter Cowdell and it flowers quite regularly throughout the year. It gets decent light, but I don't treat it any differently.
M1.jpg
M2.jpg
Simon
Thanks. That makes two important points.
1. Cuttings are possible, and the decapitated stem might make a suitable start rather than leave it in a sorry state when the rest if the plant looks OK. Without a growing point, it may force "offsets".
2. If it begins to grow outwards rather than pushing out more stems as it is doing ...... it may have to be relocated from its current home.
Comments and information happily taken from all sources.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Simon S wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:18 pm I agree Terry... I think they're kind of nice (though I do like hanging plants as they provide a different dimension to the growing space).
I received mine as a cutting from Peter Cowdell and it flowers quite regularly throughout the year. It gets decent light, but I don't treat it any differently.
M1.jpg
M2.jpg
That is a nice looking cactus. Regardless of the many deriding comments, Morangaya not only is an attractive (although sometimes difficult, and hard to accommodate the needed space for), but being a monotype, it always makes me wonder how it managed to set up it's home in such a remote spot. To my limited knowledge of it's relationship to other genera, I've heard it's nearest relative is Aporocactus, of which A. martianus (found roughly 1000 mi. away in Oaxaca) has the closest resemblance (continental fault separation?). AFAIK, no hybrids have ever been produced with any cactus species.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

The pic here shows a fine plant https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Morangaya

It emphasises your comment Tom - it looks quite like an Aporocactus relative.
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I have one that has been shoved ot the back of the bench for years. I must elevate it in a hanging basket, and hope the extra light brings it into flower. Not the prettiest of Echinocerei, but as I grew this one from seed from Mesa Garden, MG 985.571, sown in 1996, I don't want to consign it to the bin.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Chris43 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:45 pm I have one that has been shoved ot the back of the bench for years. I must elevate it in a hanging basket, and hope the extra light brings it into flower. Not the prettiest of Echinocerei, but as I grew this one from seed from Mesa Garden, MG 985.571, sown in 1996, I don't want to consign it to the bin.
I certainly don't want to start any sort of nomenclature debate, but the empirical evidence (no hybridization with any cactus species are known), indicates that it's not an Echinocereus. Until other evidence comes to light, I believe Morangaya should remain as the appropriate genus. One fact alone should also be considered: Echinocereus species of widely divergent types easily form hybrids.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I never thought my simple question would raise a debate to such dizzy heights as nomenclature.
Early comments made me think about its worthiness in the collection.
It stays!
It may become a subject for photography.
It may become a subject for propagation.
PERIOD.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.