If I haven't seen a mealie bug for a year

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

If I haven't seen a mealie bug for a year

Post by Nick_G »

If I haven't seen a mealie bug for a year do you think I've conquered them or am i just kidding myself?

For a couple of years prior to relocating I carried out a regime of completely submersing all my plants (plant, pot, substrate, the lot) in a bucket of the most noxious insecticide I could lay my hands on. I'd do this every couple of months. It was back breaking work but just maybe it's worked?
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: If I haven't seen a mealie bug for a year

Post by el48tel »

I admire your optimism!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Very interesting Nick, incidentally did you damage any plants with your submersing regime? I've killed things in the past when trying to eradicate mealies. I believe you have relocated to Shetland, so wonder if the different, and presumably colder, climate might be a factor. Whatever the reason, long may it continue!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Nick_G wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:16 am If I haven't seen a mealie bug for a year do you think I've conquered them or am i just kidding myself?

For a couple of years prior to relocating I carried out a regime of completely submersing all my plants (plant, pot, substrate, the lot) in a bucket of the most noxious insecticide I could lay my hands on. I'd do this every couple of months. It was back breaking work but just maybe it's worked?
I did a very through treatment of my smallish whole collection in late summer 2019, I treated every pot twice by total submersion, with a 3 weekish gap between.
It gave me almost total success in eradicating root mealie, I haven't seen a mealy bug of any type in the greenhouse since. Just a couple of plants on widow sills in the house were still infected a few months later - I think they were all in peaty compost so the drenching may not have wetted all the roots as thoroughly as the bulk of my plants in very mineral mix.
Most of my plants are in groups in small trays or have individual pot saucers, so root pests tend to stay in a singe pot or small groups of pots and can't easily get washed to the drainage holes of pots in the rest of the collection.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

juster wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:21 pm Very interesting Nick, incidentally did you damage any plants with your submersing regime? I've killed things in the past when trying to eradicate mealies. I believe you have relocated to Shetland, so wonder if the different, and presumably colder, climate might be a factor. Whatever the reason, long may it continue!
As far as I'm aware, I didn't kill an plant by total immersion of the pot. I did this during a warm dry spell, so plants may have been a bit deyhdrated so absorbed the pesticide mix well and then dried out again quite fast.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

juster wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:21 pm Very interesting Nick, incidentally did you damage any plants with your submersing regime? I've killed things in the past when trying to eradicate mealies. I believe you have relocated to Shetland, so wonder if the different, and presumably colder, climate might be a factor. Whatever the reason, long may it continue!
No, no damage to any plants. Yes, it's possible the climate here may be a factor but I've seen nothing to worry about on the plants I've kept in the house either. I'm hoping that the wetter, cooler climate will discourage mites at least.
BCSS no.33806

TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Nick_G wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:21 pm
No, no damage to any plants. Yes, it's possible the climate here may be a factor but I've seen nothing to worry about on the plants I've kept in the house either. I'm hoping that the wetter, cooler climate will discourage mites at least.
Even though I've had fairly satisfactory results using these 2 insecticides, Malathion and Acephate, I'd like to have an "ace up my sleeve" just in case insecticidal resistance leads to eventual immunity, and starts to be a serious issue. Could you please divulge the name of the noxious insecticide with which you've had such a long lasting positive result?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

They are just waiting for you to drop your guard :sad:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

It's possible to eradicate them. If you are there, be careful not to bring more in.

Root mealies or above ground? Extra vigilance can spot the above-ground types early, but the root mealies can lurk and spread for years without you noticing.
Cheshire, UK
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

TomInTucson wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:28 am
Nick_G wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:21 pm
Even though I've had fairly satisfactory results using these 2 insecticides, Malathion and Acephate, I'd like to have an "ace up my sleeve" just in case insecticidal resistance leads to eventual immunity, and starts to be a serious issue. Could you please divulge the name of the noxious insecticide with which you've had such a long lasting positive result?
It's the first one you mentioned Tom. I found a couple of old bottles in my father's shed after he passed away.
BCSS no.33806