Cat litter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cat litter

Post by MatDz »

In the current CactusWorld a mix of a 1:1:1:1 ratio of grit, moler clay (cat litter), perlite and organic matter is suggested, I would personally replace perlite with e.g. pumice or just a bit more of the grit and clay as it is everywhere just not in the pot after a few waterings.
Mat
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

MatDz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:37 pm In the current CactusWorld a mix of a 1:1:1:1 ratio of grit, moler clay (cat litter), perlite and organic matter is suggested, I would personally replace perlite with e.g. pumice or just a bit more of the grit and clay as it is everywhere just not in the pot after a few waterings.
Well, as you know Mat if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different mixes :lol: Lots of people don't like perlite. Pumice is great but is expensive; I use it when I don't have to mix it with other stuff so I can recycle it. I use perlite in my compost-containing mix for many of my plants, because I top-dress with gravel and water from below, so the perlite stays where I put it. I like it because it lightens the mix and gives air. At the end of the day it is just more drainage material and can be replaced with a variety of substrates. I know others who use 1:1:1 compost, moler clay and grit, missing out the other 1/4.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Absolutely, I commented to show exactly that. As could be seen in the other thread, plenty just use 1:1 JI and grit, but I found the rather hard way that this mix stays wet way too long indoors, even with added ventilation and quite high temperatures that should aid evaporation.

So yes, start with something, kill some plants, adjust, and repeat :mrgreen:
Mat
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Now it says it’s unavailable!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

The curse of BCSS!
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hadn't you ordered first before posting ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

No!

Duh..,,
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

FWIW, my mix is something like 2:2:1 JI:cat litter:grit. I find it is too light without the grit. Mixes based on the cat litter don't seem to get saturated the way a straight grit mix would, but they do stay "damp" for longer than you might expect. Perlite is the opposite, it hardly absorbs any water at all. I used to use it and years later occasionally came across a poor plant still in a perlite mix after wondering why it always seemed thirsty :)
Cheshire, UK
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

iann wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:55 pm FWIW, my mix is something like 2:2:1 JI:cat litter:grit. I find it is too light without the grit. Mixes based on the cat litter don't seem to get saturated the way a straight grit mix would, but they do stay "damp" for longer than you might expect. Perlite is the opposite, it hardly absorbs any water at all. I used to use it and years later occasionally came across a poor plant still in a perlite mix after wondering why it always seemed thirsty :)
This is fairly close to my default mix for cacti now, which reassures me as you are not far away.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

No!

Duh..,,
Oh mike, :bangh:
how much you offering for a bag, mine are arriving tomorrow :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.