A small collection of copiapoa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Benjy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A small collection of copiapoa

Post by Benjy »

Eric Williams wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:30 pm Hi Benjy, as Tina points out there is quite a variety out there. I can see how my seed supplier may have got it wrong. Thanks for the update.
Your Copiapoa looks awesome, really nicely grown :)
Tina wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:58 pm chatting to a friend & he grows them in a lot of pumice and says they get much better roots this way.
Yes, I get much better results too.
A few years ago I started repotting all my Copiapoas in a mix of only Cat litter, some larger Lava rock and small gravel.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

A timely thread! My Copiapoa columna-alba BJB25 (Brendan Burke) flowered for the first time this week! I must have grown it from seed goodness how many years ago, so I don’t know how old it is. Unfortunately it has suffered from the “splits” (not unusual with Copiapoa) probably from watering a few weeks ago after a mini heatwave, so it isn’t very show-worthy, but I’m pleased nevertheless.
Copiapoa Columba-alba BJB25
Copiapoa Columba-alba BJB25
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

:
It is still a very nice plant and well grown too.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Its an achievement especially if you grew it yourself,
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Here is another interesting plant. C. kranziana. I received this as a cutting many years ago from Brian Moss of S Wales branch.He had split up his original plant. It sits in a twelve inch bowl. On the label it reads “plant raised from F Ritter seed 1950.” It has never flowered for me.
IMG_1073.jpeg
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Interesting Eric, I also have an old plant of C. krainziana in a 12" bowl, here it is a few years ago
1CAC3690-CFEE-456C-82DA-AA2CFC6F34B5.jpeg
It seems to have smaller heads than yours, but also has never flowered.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

WoW, that’s a show stopper of a plant, strange about the non flowering aspect. Looks old enough to flower in my view. Perhaps a Copipoa expert coiled comment.