Right time to repot some cacti?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Right time to repot some cacti?

Post by peter831shaw »

I am looking at transplanting some cacti this week and could not find any reason not to do so now.

I am located along the coast 50 miles south of San Francisco.

We are now in the early stage of our "Indian" summer with very high day temperatures (for us anyway) and cool nights.

I tried to search for this topic but I am not sure how to search for a phrase.

thanks

Peter
Peter Shaw
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Right time to repot some cacti?

Post by Patrick »

HI Peter,

I'm in a similar climate to you in southern Portugal, where our unseasonably hot Indian summer has just come to an end. I certainly wouldn't say that you can't transplant now (are you talking about seedlings or larger plants?) but I tend to do it later in the year. Many plants stop growing in the heat of summer but there is enough warmth and light for them to be growing now so I prefer to leave that as long as possible. If they are seedlings and it is still hot with you it might not be such a good idea to do it now
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Right time to repot some cacti?

Post by peter831shaw »

Thanks Patrick for taking the time to respond.

We have had some high temperatures the last week but I think they are over. The days are getting much shorter now but ya never know.

I will get started later this weekend and into next week.

Peter
Peter Shaw