Aloe Polyphylla over winter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nicevans
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aloe Polyphylla over winter

Post by Nicevans »

Is it better to keep a potted Aloe Polyphylla -
In an open fronted north facing garage over winter
In a well ventilated greenhouse to get more light
Indoors in an unheated conservatory, taking it outside on sunny days?
IMG_2480.jpeg
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe Polyphylla over winter

Post by edds »

I'd want to keep it somewhere where the soil won't freeze solid as I lost a bunch of plants in 2l pots last year in an unheated greenhouse when this happened.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Nicevans
BCSS Member

Post by Nicevans »

I worry about the leaves which tend to stretch out and go pale when kept indoors?
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Nicevans wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:06 pm I worry about the leaves which tend to stretch out and go pale when kept indoors?
They will but leaves will grow back more compact in the summer - if it's dead it won't! They only need to be frost-free in my experience when young. You could keep it in the greenhouse and bring it in when negative temperatures are forecast?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Nicevans
BCSS Member

Post by Nicevans »

Thank you
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Isn’t the conservatory frost free? Should be nice and light I would have thought but polyphylla doesn’t grow much if at all in winter anyway.
Nicevans
BCSS Member

Post by Nicevans »

I should have said that the conservatory has a solid roof. When I moved the plant indoors recently I noticed the leaves starting to flatten out. Can I leave the plant out until the first frosts with no worry about rainfall on the crown??
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

My two have been outside all year round for 14 years. We don't usually get frost more than -1C or -2C and only a day or two at a time. I loose bottom leaves each year due to windburn with salty air, but not wet. I nearly lost one last year with water in the leaves and then a -3C. But I remved the mushy leaves and the plant has grown on OK.
Can you not leave it outside and just bring it into a cool room, when frosts are due?
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Nicevans
BCSS Member

Post by Nicevans »

Hi Allan,
Thats reassuring to hear, this will be my first attempt at leaving it outside in colder weather, just out of interest what kind of compost do you use?
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

John Innes no 2 ,grit and fired clay cat litter. There is probably ony grit and cat litter in now as I have neve repotted them in 14 years.
By losing some leaves each year, they have stayed about the same size so not outgrown the pot.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias