UV grow light

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
N.D.
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

UV grow light

Post by N.D. »

Every spring I lose some lithops to scorch. I think this is due to UV and not IR part of the spectrum, since this happens when air is still cool and it is hard to imagine plants getting overheated. Hence the idea to add UV LEDs to the grow light, so that the plants never lose UV-protecting pigments. Has anyone tried this? What wavelength should be used (234nm to 480nm is available)? What intensity? The biggest factor that might stop me from using it is safety. Looking at those plants under UV lights cannot be good for the eyes.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: UV grow light

Post by el48tel »

I know what my optometrist would say about UV.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

Could this be cold damage instead?
If your plants are behind glass or plastic then quite a bit of the UV will be filtered out (depending upon the exact material)?
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

This is definitely not cold damage, and they are not behind glass/plastic. I take them out when there is no threat of frost, i.e. when it is 10-15C outside. The damage happens during the day, usually when my temporary cover is blown away by the wind. Interestingly, it only happens to a handful of plants. Most survive it fine.
SimonT wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:59 am Could this be cold damage instead?
If your plants are behind glass or plastic then quite a bit of the UV will be filtered out (depending upon the exact material)?
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

I don't grow lithops under lights but I've grown quite a few cacti. They tend to get quite spiny and compact under lights and
then when they come out from this they need a bit of time to adapt to less harsh conditions. I guess it depends upon the
exact setup you have. But I'm surprised you have this with lithops given where they grow in habitat.
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

SimonT wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:57 pm But I'm surprised you have this with lithops given where they grow in habitat.
Hm... What is it about habitat that makes them unsuitable for grow lights?
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

If you are worried about scorch just shade your plants a bit when you first put them outside and gradually introduce more light.
Or even better put them through a 'hardening off' process.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

N.D. wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:09 pm This is definitely not cold damage, and they are not behind glass/plastic. I take them out when there is no threat of frost, i.e. when it is 10-15C outside. The damage happens during the day, usually when my temporary cover is blown away by the wind. Interestingly, it only happens to a handful of plants. Most survive it fine.
SimonT wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:59 am Could this be cold damage instead?
The secret to avoiding scorch is no sudden changes in light intensity.