The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politics

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politi

Post by Stuart »

OK, took me a while but it's 'Toumeya'. There are points for presentation but no penalties for spelling. No penalties either for a plant incorrectly named as long as it's in the correct class though I might write a helpful note on the entry card.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politi

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:24 pm Terry, do you know the identity of the second and third Aloes?
Sorry I do not.
I have photos solely.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Stuart wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:43 pm OK, took me a while but it's 'Toumeya'. There are points for presentation but no penalties for spelling. No penalties either for a plant incorrectly named as long as it's in the correct class though I might write a helpful note on the entry card.

Stuart
I see. Probably not a good idea for me to become a judge, then!

Thanks Stut.

:smile:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:43 pm OK, took me a while but it's 'Toumeya'. There are points for presentation but no penalties for spelling. No penalties either for a plant incorrectly named as long as it's in the correct class though I might write a helpful note on the entry card.

Stuart
I would hope that the show was a competition of "GROWING" rather than "GRAMMAR"
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

el48tel wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 am I would hope that the show was a competition of "GROWING" rather than "GRAMMAR"
Its not "GRAMMAR", its "TAXONOMY" (sic). And I would hope that getting the name of something right is important, whether on the show bench or in your own greenhouse. To my mind it should be at the very core of our hobby. They aren't just pretty little things to line up in a row.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Paul in Essex wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:07 am
el48tel wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 am I would hope that the show was a competition of "GROWING" rather than "GRAMMAR"
Its not "GRAMMAR", its "TAXONOMY" (sic). And I would hope that getting the name of something right is important, whether on the show bench or in your own greenhouse. To my mind it should be at the very core of our hobby. They aren't just pretty little things to line up in a row.
Fair comment. It was the possible incorrect lettering on the label which drew my comment, but I do accept that the description/labelling of the plant is paramount.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

29 -1.jpg
29 -2.jpg
29 - 3.jpg
30 - 1.jpg
30 - 2.jpg
30 - 3.jpg
30 - HC.jpg
The Saturday Smörgåsbord of succulents. (yes I know it's Swedish .... yes I know it's a mixed buffet of hot and cold dishes .... I'm using the word as a metaphor .... I'm running low on alliteration ..... )
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

The potful in Adromischus Sub-group Class that got 1st Prize is a cracker.
I think/assume it is a clone of Adromischus nanus looking at the plant and the partial information on the label.
I usually kill mine (over-watering?) when they are much smaller than this.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Tony R wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:33 am The potful in Adromischus Sub-group Class that got 1st Prize is a cracker.
I think/assume it is a clone of Adromischus nanus looking at the plant and the partial information on the label.
Derek T. once told me he waters his A. nanus very sparingly (a couple times a year if I remember correctly), and very carefully to not wet the plant itself. I will give this A. a go once again one day... Agree it's a cracker, as many other plants in this thread - thanks for sharing el48tel! (And who doesn't like a good smörgåsbord, I'd kill for those little smørrebrøds right now!)
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:19 pm
Tony R wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:33 am The potful in Adromischus Sub-group Class that got 1st Prize is a cracker.
Derek T. once told me he waters his A. nanus very sparingly (a couple times a year if I remember correctly), and very carefully to not wet the plant itself. I will give this A. a go once again one day... Agree it's a cracker, as many other plants in this thread - thanks for sharing el48tel! (And who doesn't like a good smörgåsbord, I'd kill for those little smørrebrøds right now!)
Thanks for the useful tip about watering.
And ..... more pics tomorrow