What to do with extra time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What to do with extra time

Post by el48tel »

Inflation rate from 1967 to today would be 6.50GBP becomes 145.49GBP. But even so that's 4GBP per plant. A reasonable price?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I quite like this one for its chapter on nomenclature. It has a dedication from Vera Higgins to a F H C from April 1933.
IMG_0402.jpeg
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Whilst we're going back into history, I'm sure someone here knows what happened to Gordon Rowley's library. I seem to remember it was taken away to be catalogued but can't remember where it went or who would have access to it.

Stuart
Tony R
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:20 am Whilst we're going back into history, I'm sure someone here knows what happened to Gordon Rowley's library. I seem to remember it was taken away to be catalogued but can't remember where it went or who would have access to it.

Stuart
Stuart, It was set up as a Charitable Trust; If I remember correctly, Graham Charles and Colin Walker (inter alia) are two of the Trustees. I don't know myself of its physcial location.
(Just looked on Internet, the other two Trustees are Paul Hoxey and Peter Arthurs.)

Link: https://register-of-charities.charityco ... s/5185316/

Their opening 'charitable object' states:

THE OBJECT OF THE CIO IS: TO ADVANCE THE EDUCATION FOR THE PUBLIC BENEFIT IN THE SUBJECT OF CACTI AND OTHER SUCCULENT PLANTS, THEIR HISTORY, BOTANY AND CULTIVATION, IN PARTICULAR BY:

1. IMPROVING KNOWLEDGE OF SUCCULENT PLANTS THROUGH THE CULTIVATION OF A COLLECTION OF DOCUMENTED PLANTS DESIGNED TO SUPPORT LEARNING, CONSERVATION ACTIVITIES AND THE TEACHING OF PRACTICAL HORTICULTURAL, CULTIVATION AND PROPAGATION SKILLS, TO BE MADE AVAILABLE TO INTERESTED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC;

2. MAINTAINING A LIBRARY OF BOTANICAL BOOKS AND OTHER MATERIAL RELATING TO CACTI AND OTHER SUCCULENT PLANTS ACCUMULATED BY THE LATE BRITISH BOTANIST GORDON ROWLEY TO BE MADE AVAILABLE AS AN IN-PERSON AND ONLINE EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE;

3. ESTABLISHING A BOTANICAL CENTRE TO HOUSE THE LIBRARY AND ACCOMMODATE OTHER EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LECTURES, PERMANENT AND TEMPORARY EXHIBITIONS, PLANT DISPLAYS, SHOWS AND STUDY MEETINGS.

Hope this helps ....
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I believe they are still pursuing a building to house it in.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch