Cotyledon in flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cotyledon in flower

Post by Ernie »

Today I found this in flower. Its been very dark ,dismal and extremely wet here in North East England but this plant and the Othonna's are ignoring the conditions. (inside and outside the greenhouse!)
Cotyledon ladismithensis reverse variegated.
P1030043.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Cotyledon in flower

Post by MatDz »

Such a nice little "bush" you have here!

I believe this is C. tomentosa ssp. tomentosa, not ssp. ladysmithensis, cf. https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... T&aID=2254 and https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... T&aID=2256
Mat
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Mat, thank you for your comments. I will be interested to read any comments from our national Judge Stuart. I got the plant from him in 2018 described/advertised as Cotyledon ladismithiensis reverse variegated. In the interim the name as I have it will remain.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I've always known it as Ladismithiensis and having looked at the Ernst vJ book it suggests there's not much to choose between this one and Tomentosa, he describes it as 'Very variable with intermediate forms between the two species'. It's generally seen in the trade as Ladismithiensis. I have a variegated one with different shaped leaves that I'll see if I can take a photo to add in here. Derek is probably best when it comes to Cotyledon. His opinion is probably better that mine.

Stuart
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I will absolutely leave this in Derek's hands, but the rest of the "Diagnostic Features" section and the drawings from the following pages would suggest this is a variegated ssp. tomentosa:
Of the two subspecies, subsp. ladismithiensis has almost terete leaves with 1-3 apical teeth, and subsp. tomentosa has somewhat dorsiventrally flattened leaves with 3-10 marginal teeth.
The plates match photographs from the crassulacea.ch pages.
Mat
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

I found the following text on the internet. There's also a photograph of a plant at the US Botanic garden that looks exactly as mine and is labelled as C. tomentosa ssp. ladismithensis . I am now confused! Hopefully Derek will reveal all.
Cotyledon tomentosa is a perennial evergreen shrub, which is a member of the Crassulaceae family of succulent flowering plants.[7] C. tomentosa has red, orange, or yellow bell-shaped flowers between July and September,[12][7] and there are two recognized subspecies, subsp. tomentosa and subsp. ladismithiensis.[7]

C. tomentosa subsp. tomentosa, the autonymous subspecies, is a small, freely branched shrublet that grows to 70 cm tall. It has chunky green tomentose leaves that are oblanceolate to oblong, with 3-8 reddish teeth at the end.[12][7] The other subspecies, subsp. ladismithiensis, features long cylindrical leaves that generally do not have teeth. Subsp. ladismithiensis also tends to be smaller and less branched than subsp. tomentosa. Finally, subsp. ladismithiensis has brown peeling bark, compared to the green hairy branches of subsp. tomentosa.[7]
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

There are multiple little errors in the text quoted immediately above and one has to be careful which sites to believe on the Internet. Margrit's International Crassulaceae Network (ICN) is accurate as far as it goes.

It was Helmut Toelken who uncovered by reference to herbarium sheets that Jacobsen's old photos had got the wrong plant as C. ladysmithensis. He corrected this when he published C. tomentosa ssp. ladismithensis, correcting the spelling of Ladismith in the Little Karoo, since there is another Ladysmith. These sheets can be easily checked online nowadays but are password protected.

So Ernie's plant is Cotyledon tomentosa ssp. tomentosa 'Yellow Palm' as illustrated on the ICN.
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Excellent. Thank you Derek. I will alter the name :grin: . Maybe I should ask Stuart for my money back :lol:
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:32 am Maybe I should ask Stuart for my money back :lol:
Or ask Stuart's dear wife, Jane, to send you a new label! :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Ha! :mrgreen:

While we're on this, does anyone grow the ssp. ladismithensis in the UK?
Mat