Handling opuntia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Handling opuntia

Post by Patrick »

Anybody got any tips? I've never had them before but I've been tempted by a couple of these Opuntia violacea var. macrocentra for the garden. It sounds like they are pretty bullet proof in heat and cold and the long spines and purple colours are attractive but how to handle them without destroying the plant and yourself?
IMG_2598 (1).jpeg
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Handling opuntia

Post by Herts Mike »

That’s a lovely plant. Handle with care.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Lovely plant!
Try not to handle the plant at all!
Lay down horizontally if you want to take the plant out of the pot. Then just handle via the rootball if you can.
Good luck!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Lay down horizontally? Isn’t it easier if you’re standing vertically? 😊
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

A pair of the curved style of these can help to guide it upright again: crucible tongs
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I find newspaper crumpled into sausage shapes and looped around the pads works OK :smile:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Herts Mike wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:43 am Lay down horizontally? Isn’t it easier if you’re standing vertically? 😊
:lol: :lol:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Herts Mike wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:43 am Lay down horizontally? Isn’t it easier if you’re standing vertically? 😊
You are doing it wrong if you are standing vertically in the festive season... :lol:

Seriously, I'd try to ease the plant out of the pot horizontally as suggested, onto cumpled up sheets of newspaper or a polystyrene sheet, to try to avoid damaging the spines too much. Then pick it up by the rootball.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
JK84
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JK84 »

As Tony said, I'd avoid touching the plants as the pads are easily detachable. I'd cut the actual pot off. Should be fairly pot-bound and dry so root ball should be easy enough to handle.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Thanks for all your tips. I will try not to mix up my verticals and horizontals and use as much padding as possible. I think cutting off the pot should help too. I've already had a few spines in me but they are not glochids, my main concern is knocking off pads, one came off in transport and it seems to happen easily. I'd usually wash off all the compost but that might be tricky with these.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.