A few Epithelantha & some ID needed plz

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

A few Epithelantha & some ID needed plz

Post by Tina »

This is a very old plant of epithelantha micromeris pachyrhiza from a very mature collection, I've had these for 2 years now & have finally got around to some repotting but the labels are missing on a few of them so some help please.
These 3 are labeled
epithelantha pachyrhiza
20240104_121114.jpg
epithelantha micromeris unqispinus
20240104_111427.jpg
epithelantha micromeris bokei
20240104_111404.jpg

Lost label plants
20240104_111532.jpg
Yellow- smaller plant, I wondered if it was ruficeps
20240104_111503.jpg
This one -no label

Before the repot, the pots were disintegrating
Attachments
20240104_110617.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: A few Epithelantha & some ID needed plz

Post by MatDz »

Not helpful at all, but what a lovely score! Especially this clumping E. micromeris unqispinus (I would be tempted to chop the main head off just to make it more coherent visually, but please don't do that!) and the fluffy no-ID one at the end.
Mat
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

I too have a considerable amount of trouble of distinguishing the species (and their variable subtle characters) in this genus. My advice, FWIW, would be to read this small book:

Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Amazing plants.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Thanks all, I have found my ariocarpus etc book which has quite a good section on them, shame its mostly habitat picts as compared to cultivated plants they are very different.
Did I show this little & large comparison.
I'm going to have to get rid of some ariocarpus now, as I want a 'white spined section' now I have realised how nice these are.
20240104_111549.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Mat,
I couldn't cut the epithelantha pachyrhiza especially the main head, its 15cm tall and quite chunky, with the crest its also a good plant for a show.
Alice van den bonn said these often 'go crested when the get old'.
Tina

Bucks, UK
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Tina wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:45 am Mat,
I couldn't cut the epithelantha pachyrhiza especially the main head, its 15cm tall and quite chunky, with the crest its also a good plant for a show.
Alice van den bonn said these often 'go crested when the get old'.
It absolutely is a lovely plant, just triggers my mild OCD with that one odd head in the middle, same as the second one, E. micromeris subs. unguispina :mrgreen:
Mat
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Nice!
Certainly worth taking a few offsets off the edges of several of them to root down, to maintain the clone, just in case!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Certainly worth taking a few offsets off the edges of several of them to root down
I did that 2 years ago & in the winter the mice took them all, never to be seen again.
I did ask a friend re - ID and his main thought was 'cuttings' .
I think No2 could loose a few especially as it is a nice looking plant but I'm in semi hibernation until it warms up again :lol: .
Tina

Bucks, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Tina wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:35 pm
I did that 2 years ago & in the winter the mice took them all, never to be seen again.
I did ask a friend re - ID and his main thought was 'cuttings' .
I think No2 could loose a few especially as it is a nice looking plant but I'm in semi hibernation until it warms up again :lol: .
Mice do seem to like Epithelantha especially the seed pods in my greenhouse at least. The sudden disappearance of fruit on the Epithelantha is a sure sign that I have mice in the greenhouse.

I have a crested bokei which appeared in a bunch of seedlings. It’s rather ugly and I keep meaning to compost it, but it shows that not just old Epithelantha develop crested growth.