Frosty day pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Frosty day pictures

Post by PhilipPV »

We've finally had a hard, lasting frost here on the south coast, too late for last month's winter-themed photo competition. Here are a few of my outside plants in their winter finery...

Rosularia sempervivum ssp. glaucophylla
Rosularia sempervivum glaucophylla.jpg
Sempervivum 'Gold Nugget'
Sempervivum Gold Nugget.jpg
Sempervivum globiferum ssp. allionii 'Oki'
Sempervivum Oki.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Frosty day pictures

Post by juster »

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Terrific photos, Philip.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

You sure they aren't 1/2 price spray painted Xmas gifts? :twisted:

Seriously, nice pics, and I hope no plants were damaged by the frost.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
PhilipPV
BCSS Member

Post by PhilipPV »

ralphrmartin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:33 pm ... I hope no plants were damaged by the frost.
It really hasn't been that kind of winter here. That said, the long, deep freeze we had in December 2022 saw off anything likely to be vulnerable in this (notably a couple of Aristaloe aristata).

The main problem I have growing succulents outside is our garden's massive population of snails and slugs, none of which seem to have read the numerous lists of gastropod-proof plants which explicitly mention sempervivum and sedum as being safe. All of those above are in a container which I protected with a copper band, which seems largely to have worked. Another plant of S. globiferum 'Oki' in an unprotected pot has been chomped to virtually nothing, along with some other sempervivums, a couple of delospermas and, last summer/autumn, most of the hylotelephiums in the open garden. At least they are less active in the cold.

Petrosedums and dwarf rhodiolas seem immune and I am pleased that a Delosperma lehmannii seems to be completely untouched by either frosts or wildlife. The latter looks too exotic to survive outside in the UK, very much resembling something like Crassula plegmatoides, but the cutting in a large bowl outside is currently looking much better than its mother plant in the greenhouse, the leaves of which are shrivelling in the artificial drought.
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
PhilipPV
BCSS Member

Post by PhilipPV »

Even frostier this morning...

Lewisia 'Little Raspberry' - not usually thought of as a foliage plant
Lewisia Little Raspberry 01.jpg
Sempervivum 'Virgil'
Sempervivum Virgil 02.jpg
Sempervivum 'Pacific Purple Shadows'
Sempervivum Pacific Purple Shadows 01.jpg
And either I have discovered a new species, Hylotelephium crystallinum, or a rather premature shoot of H. telephium 'Dark Magic' is regretting its early start...
Hylotelephium Dark Magic 01.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset