Ecehveria Maria worries

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ac427
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Ecehveria Maria worries

Post by ac427 »

Hi All, I am new to caring for these fabulous plants. All I have is a couple of echeveria maria's that i am worried about. I am scared to overwater them and rot the roots but I can't help thinking the leaves should be a bit more plump

I place them on the window cill where it is dry, reasonably warm and tere is sunlight. At night i move them to a table in the middle of the room overnight.

What do you think of their condition?

Is how open or closed the leaves are a good indicator of condition?

Do succulents or at least this type of succulent, sort of hibernate in colder months?

esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Ecehveria Maria worries

Post by esp »

They look OK, probably a little stretched and open.
These are quite cold hardy, they should be fine in an unheated greenhouse if kept dry over winter. They certainly don't need to be moved into the centre of a room overnight.
UK winters have very little daylight, so it is best for many succulents to keep them cool and dry over winter. If it's too warm, it encourages growth, but this will be weak, leading to the stretched, open look you are getting. Healthier compact growth occurs when daylight (especially sunlight) is stronger and extends for more hours.
ac427
Registered Guest

Post by ac427 »

esp wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:31 pm They look OK, probably a little stretched and open.
These are quite cold hardy, they should be fine in an unheated greenhouse if kept dry over winter. They certainly don't need to be moved into the centre of a room overnight.
UK winters have very little daylight, so it is best for many succulents to keep them cool and dry over winter. If it's too warm, it encourages growth, but this will be weak, leading to the stretched, open look you are getting. Healthier compact growth occurs when daylight (especially sunlight) is stronger and extends for more hours.
Thanks very much. Should they be watered over Winter?

If there is no ideal spot for daylight would some electrical lighting of a particular colour temperature help?
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

ac427 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:55 pm
esp wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:31 pm They look OK, probably a little stretched and open.
Thanks very much. Should they be watered over Winter?

If there is no ideal spot for daylight would some electrical lighting of a particular colour temperature help?
Here are 2 comments that I hope may be of some use to you:

The advice from esp was spot on (even though I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting the UK). Here is a link which confirms your previous advice: https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... A&aID=2037

I only water members of the stone crop clade (during their mostly dormant period) if the following symptoms are observed ; either through noting abnormal shrinkage of their leaves, or from any notable discoloration from what's typical for the specimens under your cultivation.
ac427
Registered Guest

Post by ac427 »

Thank you Tom and ESP.

I think the plant is a bit pot bound but i was worried if this was the wrong time of the year to attempt a repotting.

It is pretty cold over here in the UK and obviously still Winter. Should i wait until spring to repot?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I leave my handful of Echeverias dry over the winter. They are variously cold or frozen. The only losses in an unheated greenhouse have been from botryitis on E. setosa rather than the cold, which I suspect was too damp going into out usual dull humid autumn. There may be some species that are less hardy, and possibly some of the thinner-leaved species would want water, especially if indoors.
Cheshire, UK
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I'd echo the previous comments. I have several forms of Echeveria agavoides, and they are all hardy to at least a few degrees of frost, if dry. E, agavoides is quite fast growing, I'd give this a larger pot (I'd wait for spring, though I know some are happy to repot in winter) and definitely more light - as much sun as you can in spring when it starts into growth. You'll get much better foliage colour as well as avoiding etiolation.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525