My avonia quinaria won’t root and it’s been almost a year. Please send help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Greenpinky
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

My avonia quinaria won’t root and it’s been almost a year. Please send help

Post by Greenpinky »

Hello everyone :)

I bought my first caudex, avonia quinaria alstonii from a local seller here in Canada last year. I soon learned later on that what I bought was actually poached, which is not something I support. But how that it is in my care, I want to make sure it survives and thrive.

I’ve planted it in mainly mineral medium consisting of pumice, lava rock, decomposed granite and a little bit of organic soil. It’s on a heat mat set at 25C and under 12 hour grow light. Last month it started pushing loads of new leaves. But to my surprise, it hasn’t pushed out any roots and it’s been almost a year now. The claudex has shrunk quite a bit compared to since I got it.

I am not ready to give up on this little fella. But I’ll am struggling to help it root. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS. Attached pictures are when I first got it
Attachments
E24DFA98-E240-4CA0-92D1-E59B75CA1590.jpeg
67F85737-5EE9-4035-8196-5935A3174D33.jpeg
5F335724-4221-4470-89AA-71265153D45A.jpeg
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My avonia quinaria won’t root and it’s been almost a year. Please send help

Post by ChrisR »

You've bought a plant which has been poached from habitat. It's a CITES protected species which has been illegally taken in their many thousands over the last few years. Mostly for the Asian market but they have then been sold on world wide. I've had no experience of rooting such plants but know it is never as easy due to the damaged taproot and their confusion in hemisphere change.
Attachments
284858410_411387134222738_719405717938218036_n.1.jpg
284031898_544463483873565_2478954270382636806_n.jpg
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Don't know if there are any special techniques for rooting these. Maybe just time. You might try cutting off some of the dried up bits at the very base to expose fresh tissue, but that might do more harm than good. Depends how desperate you get during this year, I supposed.
Cheshire, UK
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Perhaps a "bath" in slightly diluted rooting hormone gel (e.g. Clonex here in the UK) could push the plant in the right direction?
Mat
Greenpinky

Post by Greenpinky »

Hey Iann,

Thank you for responding! From all the reading I’ve done, seems like you’re the go to guy for everything and anything avonia related.

I am quite desperate as it’s been almost a year since i purchased it and I don’t know how much longer the caudex can support it before it’s turned to crisp. You said to cut the base to expose some fresh tissue. How may that be more detrimental? Can you please enlighten me. Thank you!
Greenpinky

Post by Greenpinky »

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your response. I’ve dusted rooting hormone on it before, did nothing. I don’t think Clonex here in Canada. Will see what I can find.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

How much are you watering it?
Slightly damp substrate and bottom heat is a good way forward to get roots going with well-calloused cuttings.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Sadly the same fate awaits the many hundreds/thousands shown in the pictures above. Doomed to die a slow death. Who knows how much time elapses between being dug up and finally sold to a collector. Its collectors who are driving the market. I don't think you will get the plant to root no matter what you do now.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I've never grown these but the best thing I have found for reluctant to root plants or cuttings is pure cat litter / clay granules with the pot sat in a saucer of water. The clay retains some moisture but allows excellent air circulation all the time and this has rooted some very stubborn Agave and other succulents for me, especially if prone to rot.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

After a year you must be so frustrated. I do not know the price or value of this plant, but I would be nearing the kill or cure period now. Time to try anything to root it or kill it.
I have also found Tesco Finest is one of the best rooting mediums of late too.
Best of luck.