Look what these caught.2023 trawl.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Look what these caught.2023 trawl.

Post by Ernie »

For years I have been using these yellow double sided sticky yellow fly catchers in the greenhouse. not clearly shown is a lot of very small white things. Fortunately Bees and Hover flies don't seem to get caught. I have no idea what's on them but I rather they be on the paper than roaming about the greenhouse. Since using them I have not a problem with sciara fly. 10 sheets for £6. Easy to use.
P1030097.JPG
P1030100.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Look what these caught.2023 trawl.

Post by el48tel »

Yup
Similar .... put my 8 in the bin on Sunday and replaced them. Might use them for close up photography next year!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
SimonT
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SimonT »

Do you think they can catch really small things like mealy bug crawlers or RSM moving from plant to plant?
Or if the card was low down around the plants would you just wipe out lots of spiders?
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

For many years, I have been using these sticky strips, cut into quarters, low down liberally mixed in with my plants because they will catch Western Flower Thrips. But many critters know to avoid them or escape - I don't recall ever seeing a spider, mealy bug, RSM, slug or snail caught.

Best wishes,
Dreek Tribble
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Quite a few Hoverflies there Ernie.
Acid John
LHMBB
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by LHMBB »

I've seen plenty of fairly large spiders on these
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Can someone please explain the point of catching and killing harmless insects?

Mealy bugs maybe so, but all others - no.

We should be helping them thrive, not killing them.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/202 ... years.html
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

gerald wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm Can someone please explain the point of catching and killing harmless insects?

The male mealie bug flies…. So these traps can be helpful to break the reproductive cycle.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I think I see Gerald's point. We are interfering with natural processes by killing the insect population. But then I think we may all be even more guilty .... by cultivation of plants outside their natural environment .... introduction of species into another country. And at some time in the past, weren't those plants and/or seeds of their ancestors ripped out of their original environment by fanatical collectors intent on one-upmanship by possession of a plant that another collector didn't posses.
I think it may be a suitable juncture to stand back from this set of dangerous arguments.
You could also justify the control of your semi closed system aka your greenhouse as your closed system equals your choice what you do with it. And you could argue that the control prevents the loss of possibly dangerous insects to the environment at large.
I don't think there is a safe verdict.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:12 pm
gerald wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm Can someone please explain the point of catching and killing harmless insects?

The male mealie bug flies…. So these traps can be helpful to break the reproductive cycle.
But unfortunately the female doesn't need the male to reproduce.